Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Suggestions for books similar to Dick and Jane?

Posted by   + Show Post

My daugher is 5 (just turned 5 last month) and her favorite books to read right now are her Dick and Jane books.  She is now getting more confident in reading and she loves reading those.  In fact I can hear her reading in her room right now and she is supposed to be asleep....

Does anyone have any suggestions for books similar reading style/level as Dick and Jane?  I would like to order some or look at Powells for some new ones that would encourage her to read more on her own.  I remember having similar style books when I was a kid but I have no idea what they were called lol.  

Any ideas?? She has BOB books too (the 1st set and 3rd set), which are good too but she prefers Dick and Jane. I'm excited that she is learning to love reading.  I always loved reading and always hoped she would take after me that way. 

Anywayany sugestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician (car seat tech) Ask me a question!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:49 AM
Replies (11-16):
bingbong
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Yes, Elephant and Piggie was a huge hit. Starfall.com has some good dick and jane style stories.. but Elephant and Piggie really got her excitted about reading, Toon books are great too!
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Yeah, I was going to say the Mo Willems books, but usmom and bingbong beat me to it!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:26 AM

The library carries ones that are as easy as Dick and Jane.   You have to look for the level 1 readers.   

oredeb
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

you could make some up yourself?

kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Sandra Boyton books are good ones and Dr. Suess especially the board books.

tonyanamelia
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 3:30 PM

You probably have had alot of suggestions already, but if no one has mentioned them yet, my daughter LOVED the Katie woo books. I believe they go from Kindergarten-2nd grade depending on which one you get. She read them all this summer. ;) Also, like some others have mentioned, they should actually have tons of easy reader books at your local library (if you have a local one!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)