Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

no science and history

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:32 AM
  • 14 Replies

We are a few months into our homeschooling year, and I haven't added science and history yet.  I work 32 hours a week, so we homeschool in the evenings, Fridays and Saturdays.  I've been mainly focused on the main subjects, and even though I've purchased a great history and science curriculum, we can't seem to find the time (or energy) to do it!!!  They do get some of it on Time4Learning, and in every day life, Netflix videos, etc, but that's about it.  Do you think that's enough??  I

by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I think that you should fit in some...when you can.  It is important to focus on the core subjects, but I would find a project to go along with some of the stuff they have been watching to help re-inforce things.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

What are their ages?  Honestly I don't think it is enough if they are older.  Science and history are just as important as learning to read in my opinion.  You don't have spend a ton of time on both.  There are ton of ways to save time.

armygirl16
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:14 PM
I would try to add a little more. Maybe have you Friday or Saturday be dedicated to science and history? Make lap books, arts and crafts for whatever time period, event or subject they are learning about. Science experiments, reading fictional or non fictional books about the topic. Play games, go on nature walks, field trips..etc.
oredeb
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:19 PM

how old are they rs??

and you did say they get a bit from timerlearning, every day life netflix videos, sounds like they are getting it!, one thing i always did was to keep a timeline going on the wall, so when we were studying science or history, they could mark it on the time line and that way we knew what we learned about.

if they do time4learning, they would be getting it every day?

also if they are old enough to read, what about some history stories(library) bios about historical and scientific things and people? from library

i teach science in a coop and these kids only get it 2 times a week, and dont do it at their homes.

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:34 PM
I love the timeline idea and library books. He's in 1st grade. Sorry...I know it sounded like I had more then 1 homeschooling, but my other boys are in school. Only 1 homeschooling right now.

Quoting oredeb:

how old are they rs??

and you did say they get a bit from timerlearning, every day life netflix videos, sounds like they are getting it!, one thing i always did was to keep a timeline going on the wall, so when we were studying science or history, they could mark it on the time line and that way we knew what we learned about.

also if they are old enough to read, what about some history stories(library) bios about historical and scientific things and people? from library

i teach science in a coop and these kids only get it 2 times a week, and dont do it at their homes.

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:59 PM

He's in first?  I have to tell you, I have three being homeschooled right now, one of whom is in second grade, and we don't do a lot of science or history (at least "formal") either.  Both of those subjects take a lot of extra prep, and I tend to focus on the "basics" in the early years.  Like you, I work full time, but I do it from home, and the other kids are older and can do much of the work themselves with less direction from me, so it works.  We actually have him enrolled in homeschool science class at a local science museum.  It's only once a week, but it does let him work with animals and have access to materials that it would be  more difficult to get at home.  If you live in an area where there are museums like that, you might see if they have classes.  It doesn't even have to be homeschooling classes -- weekends work, too. With history, we do do timelines, but the best thing to do is to get them reading at a high enough level so that they can read the history books themselves.  Ours is at that stage, now, and he's deep into Greece and Rome.  Mainly, at this age, you want them to get a sense of what was going on in the particular culture during broad sweeps of time, important names and a few dates.  If he isn't reading at a high enough level, try bedtime reading and then have him tell you about what you read the next morning and write it down for him.  Review it once  in a while, and that will be more than enough for a first grader.  

Quoting rsrangel:

I love the timeline idea and library books. He's in 1st grade. Sorry...I know it sounded like I had more then 1 homeschooling, but my other boys are in school. Only 1 homeschooling right now.

Quoting oredeb:

how old are they rs??

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:46 AM
I have dh do science experiments with dd on the weekends
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:28 PM

For 1st grade, I think what you're doing is enough. It doesn't need to be formal at this age. I didn't do any formal science or history curriculum till about 3rd grade, and mine have done just fine. It surprised me how much they  learned on their own, just with informal nature studies and netflix for "history" class. They weren't at all behind when we started an actual curriculum. In fact, some of the elementary science was bit boring for them, they already knew most of that stuff.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:35 PM

For a first grader, I think that's fine.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Classical conversations has time line cards! Youtube have great hand motions for each card and ln the backs it gives descrptions, a map and where it is in the timeline :)

Science, maybe getva book of easy experiments too, van cleave i think.its called has great ones, simple and easy.

Really these two maybe will take 15-30 mins.from your school day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)