Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New here, new homeschooler, any advice (2nd grader)??

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi ladies, I'm a new Cafemom member and was told that there were a lot of really well informed Homeschooling mom's on this site who might be able to help guide me with homeschooling as it is something very new to us (my 7 year old daughter and I).

I am pretty much forced to homeschool my daughter as the teachers here in our country/state have been on strike since mid-August. I don't foresee them throwing in the towel anytime soon, and I will not let my daughter go without getting an education, so I took it upon myself to homeschool her. 

I guess a couple questions I have, and please bear with me, are how many hours are the norm to spend doing schoolwork with your child at this age/grade level? Do you study each topic/subject daily or do you pick and choose throughout the week? What do you do about homework? Quizzes? Tests?

We live in Mexico, so all those wonderful homeschooling programs you ladies have I am not able to use here because of course the primary language is Spanish, and while I do use some English worksheets and books for her to read and do work with, she really needs the Spanish language work in order to get anywhere in the school system here. 

At this point I'll take any advice/opinions/information. I feel lost, even after Googling for hours about homeschooling this, that, and the other thing. Seems people's opinions are so conflicting and I feel more lost now than when I first started searching for information. 

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any replies,

Jennifer

by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Replies (21-22):
oredeb
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:03 PM

hi jennifer, im sure you have lots of great advice! so im not gona repeat it, but just wana say welcome and remember to have fun schooling your child!! make it fun for both of you!

Jlee4249
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:25 AM

just like the first reply, I make my own, too.  We actually split ours up through the week.  We do math and Language Arts every day, but Mondays are History, Tues- Science, Wed-Geography, Thurs-whatever, Fri-Writing, Sat/Sun-Music & Art (daddy).  
Geo is split between a country and one state per month.  Science and History we use library books and youtube and documentaries.   ;)
Kids' tv: Wild Kratts, like someone else mentioned, is awesome to introduce animals, habitats, food chain, etc.  Zula Patrol is another handy cartoon, harder to find though.  It's science by way of space, panets, clouds, magnets, etc.  or Magic School Bus (books or videos).
IF you can't find pre-made stuff in Spanish, you could just help her make notebooks for herself.  It's what works for us.  
In her science notebook, she cuts and pastes, draws pics, and makes notes of what she's learned (from magazines, tv, documentaries, library books, websites, etc).  (We have a second notebook dedicated to animals.) Another for history or a timeline notebook, which comes in SO handy when getting through world history, to see what was happening at the same time in the world.  Making a math notebook to write down each concept as she learns it, kinda like a "how-to" in her own words, helps mine.  

Check out the idea of lapbooks and see how you could paste flaps & whatnot in the notebooks, make things a bit more interesting, for mine, at least.  Theirs are starting to look like scrapbooks. 

Homeschool is totally up to you.  It may take a while to figure out what works for you and what doesn't.  Good luck to you!   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN