Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

It's Sunday! What are you learning this week?

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:39 AM
  • 8 Replies
?
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:17 AM

We are going to continue to stay the course with what we have been working on with our states project.  I have now added a little bit of science to the mix.  My oldest is wanting to learn about some animals...so I have added some Wild Kratz (via Netflix).

Yesterday, we learned about aardvarks...I was totally into it.  We are going to the library this week (the big one downtown) to find a book on squirels (yup, those rodents in my yard) because my oldest wants to learn more about them.  She also wants another A-Z Mystery book.  My LO just wants books....she is a sponge and wants to READ anything she can get her hands on.

I have a friend who wants to teach my kids about the solar system...so I'm going to let him do that.  He asked me to give him some time to prep and then he will come over afterwork a couple times a week and work with them after dinner.  I of course will have to feed him...but he is super grateful for anything he eats here.

My oldest is wanting to understand how multiplication and division work together...so we are going to explore that some more this week.  My youngest is starting to look at a combination of dots (almost like a dominoe) and write 2 addition and 2 subtraction problems...as well as solve them.

Handwritting is going to be something that we are going to focus on some more especially with my youngest.  I don't think she got "much" when we were introducing capital letters because she couldn't see well.  I need to reintroduce them and when we are supposed to use them.

My time of "child led" is starting to look more like mom guided in some areas....I can't quite tell if that is going to good or not, but we will see.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Ecology,physics, us history, and universal 8 in my karate forms.

We are going to frontier culture museum, studying ecology at a creek at our co-op. We also have a tour scheduled at a exotic pet store. We are starting the Captain's Dog. We are also working on my 9 by 6 foot map of the US I am making. We have a very full and fun week planned. Sometime this week we will be starting on studying the Congo.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:27 PM

With Jamie -
Math: Division by 5 and 3, and possibly Parallel and Perpendicular lines. It depends on how easy the first part is for her and if we skip through it again.
Reading: We're starting a new unit, and reviewing Plot, Setting, and Theme
Writing: Finishing the Humor unit. She'll be sending out invitations to her Comedy night (Friday :/) and edit, revise, publish, and present her humor story.
Handwriting: curisve i and j this week
Science: Going over orbit...and I'm sure some other stuffs but I can't find the science book :/
History: Starting a 4 week unit of France in the late 1500s to 1600s, and learning about Massachusetts this week
Spelling: Consonant team dge, and the three ways to spell the sound /j/
Art: learning the concept and techniques on drawing texture

Riley-
Math: We're going to go back and review +1, 2+2, 3+3. 4+4, and 5+5. He was doing great with it so we kept moving on, but he's struggling with it again. We'll be playing a few math games until he's got it :) If it doesn't take long, then we'll move on to addition of 10s
Reading: Letter  u and the second sound of s (/z/)
Spelling: First time dictating words on paper (at, man, sat,  etc.. easy short a words) and then learning about short i
Handwriting: U V W and X

mndzjen
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Still working on our weekly plan but so far my daughter would like to learn about 

[Science] Primary subject: Food - what it's made out of and what goes in it. Secondary subject: The 5 senses which we'll be doing a project on come the end of the week.

[Math] Addition and percentages (she'll be doing the shopping with me this week) plus some work out of her second grade math workbook

[Art] Haikus - What they are, their history, reading haikus we find on the internet, etc.

[Reading] Leisure reading out of Harry Potter and I'll also be finding her some books on food related to what she wants to learn in science.

[Grammar] Daily journal that she does every morning. Helps with her penmanship too. 

[History]  Halloween. DD wants to learn about how Halloween came about. 

Going to try to add in some Geography by purchasing a map of Mexico and working on learning things abotu each state. 

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Erosion and weathering and caves, Leif Erickson (again), more work with prime an composite numbers, order of operations, and whatever lit I find at the library.
kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Working on adding with 7 and 6, still going over verbs.  Working on Mesopotamia in History and science is still space.  Going to be a very busy week though because we have a ton of extra resources this week.

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Life cycle of a pumpkin, fill in the missing number to 10, ABC order, letter sounds, sight word see, writing his name, rhyming words...I love pre K!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Monocots and Dicots, what happens to plants in the autumn, 2 Brer Rabbit stories, The early kings of England and the viking invasions, and my oldest is learning his nine tables: middle is learning to add 2: and youngest is working on counting to 20.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN