Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ok so we started hs on Aug. 1st (light schedule at first) and have been going really strong for the month of Sept.   My son just turned 5, so I spent all spare time last week getting ready for the party.  Now I am wiped out ~ I need a break!  I was thinknig maybe I would take a week off every couple of months to just review, play (educational) games, do some extra field trips, do some baking, etc.   Is anyone else taking a break yet?  What do you do during your breaks?

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Replies (11-20):
tonyanamelia
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I take off one day a week at least because of speech therapy for my son, but if we didn't do that, I usually take off for baking days, science days, etc, once a week to once a month depending on how much time we have or what needs doing. I bake cakes, so occasionally we take a week off of "normal" school and she does computer subjects only that she can do on her own (it's actually a full-online program that is really good by itself anyways!) so I can bake. It's called "Time for Learning" and it is EXCELLENT. There is also programs like "click and read" (which is amazing), and "dreambox" for math....which is pretty good too! Hope this helps!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't plan breaks either. They just happen. When they need to. Sometimes frequently and sonestimes not as frequently. :)

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I don't plan breaks, they happen when we need one or when life intrudes. We don't do anything, we just enjoy the restfulness of a day with nothing happening.  We might go on a bike ride (ds is training for a 40 mi race next month) since its no longer 105 degrees during the day anymore!

unsuspected
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:35 PM
My sister scheduled six weeks on, one week off for this year. Its working well for her.
motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:46 PM

We break every 38 day we take a day off relax I even take the day off. I give them a review quiz over all what we went over see what most they need help.

MammaG08
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:47 AM

That sounds like heaven to me.  :-)

Quoting jen2150:

We just took a day off yesterday and another one a week ago. We stay home. No going anywhere. We watch TV, play together on the wii, puzzles, read a lot together. Go outside and my kids love to play with our animals. Sometimes we play all day and sometimes we play and get caught up on some work at home.

MammaG08
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:49 AM

So true!  I need to plan for breaks too...I was thinking every 9 weeks, but every 6 sounds even better!   Even if it is just a light week or a few days off, I think it will make a huge difference!

Quoting coala:

I plan for breaks....our next year will be 6 weeks on and 1 week off.  The full week may not be off as we do field trips and need to make that time up.  Breaks are important and should happen so that you can decompress and just have a lazy day.  Everyone needs them occasionally.

MammaG08
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:50 AM

How wonderful!

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Today ended.up being a break day. DH decided to take the kids to the beach for the weekend and give me time alone. Just chilling.

MammaG08
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:53 AM

It sounds like you REALLY need a break with all that's going on!   Hopefully you will get to go to Disney ~ I have heard that there are special activities for homeschool kids; might want to check it out!   And of course, going in the off season definitely makes it more cost effective; a wonderful benefit of homeschool.  :-)

Quoting No_Difference:

I'm going to need a break really really soon, I can tell already. My neighbor is going through hell and back, and we've been her only support system and its starting to toll on us. On top of that, we're on our Home Owners Association board, and there has been a ton of drama and major transitions there. Tomorrow we have a major meeting where over half the community has to attend, and so far no one has responded :S !!! Its going to cost a fortune to redo this meeting and then we'll have grumpy neighbors that I really don't want to deal with. Next weekend, we're doing a redo yard sale, and my daughter's Comedy Night. The weekend after that, Hubby has his shooting competition for wounded veterans, and his grandparents and parents might come to watch.
I am SO SO SO SO SO hoping that he'll suck it up, and okay a disney trip. He doesn't want to because we don't have enough cash on hand to fly down. The kids are at the perfect age, and it would be an awesome week vacation...I wouldn't even mind driving the 17 hrs, which I would be doing all the driving regardless.  If we don't go this year, I can honestly say without a doubt or hesitation that my kids will never go to Disney...and I want them to go so stinking bad!

MammaG08
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:56 AM

We do abcmouse right now, which my 5 year old son loves!  But I have heard a LOT of great things about time4learning; I think we will try that one after he is done with abcmouse.   Thanks for sharing!

Quoting tonyanamelia:

I take off one day a week at least because of speech therapy for my son, but if we didn't do that, I usually take off for baking days, science days, etc, once a week to once a month depending on how much time we have or what needs doing. I bake cakes, so occasionally we take a week off of "normal" school and she does computer subjects only that she can do on her own (it's actually a full-online program that is really good by itself anyways!) so I can bake. It's called "Time for Learning" and it is EXCELLENT. There is also programs like "click and read" (which is amazing), and "dreambox" for math....which is pretty good too! Hope this helps!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I am going to go find all I can about homeschool activities at Disney and see if I can't gain any leverage now lol. Thank you for that little bit of information :) (I may or may not have let an evil chuckle escape) My poor hubby...he isn't going to know what hit him pretty soon...I can be worse than the kids sometimes when I really want something.

Quoting MammaG08:

It sounds like you REALLY need a break with all that's going on!   Hopefully you will get to go to Disney ~ I have heard that there are special activities for homeschool kids; might want to check it out!   And of course, going in the off season definitely makes it more cost effective; a wonderful benefit of homeschool.  :-)

Quoting No_Difference:

I'm going to need a break really really soon, I can tell already. My neighbor is going through hell and back, and we've been her only support system and its starting to toll on us. On top of that, we're on our Home Owners Association board, and there has been a ton of drama and major transitions there. Tomorrow we have a major meeting where over half the community has to attend, and so far no one has responded :S !!! Its going to cost a fortune to redo this meeting and then we'll have grumpy neighbors that I really don't want to deal with. Next weekend, we're doing a redo yard sale, and my daughter's Comedy Night. The weekend after that, Hubby has his shooting competition for wounded veterans, and his grandparents and parents might come to watch.
I am SO SO SO SO SO hoping that he'll suck it up, and okay a disney trip. He doesn't want to because we don't have enough cash on hand to fly down. The kids are at the perfect age, and it would be an awesome week vacation...I wouldn't even mind driving the 17 hrs, which I would be doing all the driving regardless.  If we don't go this year, I can honestly say without a doubt or hesitation that my kids will never go to Disney...and I want them to go so stinking bad!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)