Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What are your thoughts?

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 2:25 PM
  • 19 Replies

For early/new readers what do you think of using high frequency site words? I'm making flashcards but I wanted to get input from others who have used this method. 

Did it work for your wee ones? Any successes or opportunities?

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I do not use it because I feel the kids need to know how to sound out words first.  I do a few that do not follow the rules but that is just my opinion and lots of people do it that way with great success.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 3:16 PM
2 moms liked this

You know what, I wasn't a believer in sight words until I used them with my struggling reader. There are so many words that phonics don't work with that we use constantly like 'the'. Doing the sight words took his reading to the next level. I suggest doing both sight words and phonics.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 3:26 PM

With my 8yo it would not have worked well.  He wanted to know how things worked, how the letters went together.  But for my 6yo, it is working much better than phonics did.  Since he now has to see the word as a whole, he is learning to chunk much better!!

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I used Pre-School Prep series...Meet the Sight Words 1, 2, and 3.  My LO learned about 50 sight words in just a few weeks.  My LO is not your typical early reader though.  She knew ALL letters and sounds by 19 mos and was trying to read by 2.  It finally clicked before she turned 4...almost 2 mos before she was 4.  We used the DVD's a few months after she started reading and it helped her along and brought her readin to a whole new level.  I like the idea of a few sight words like the, a, of...the ones that don't technically follow phonetic rules.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 5:41 PM

We use both. 80% sounding-it-out reading, but 20% sight word recognition. I have lots of file folder games for sight words (from a book, I made them) and those help a lot for words like their, whole, into... words they struggle to sound out but that we use often.

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Before teaching sight words, I make sure they know all their phonic sounds (and most of the blends such as sh, ch) , and can blend them to form words.  Once they learn their first 8 sounds (s,a,m,r,n,t,o,d) they should be able to read their first early reader (Bob books, Ring Around The Phonics books, or public school books).  Once they learn i,b,c,e,g and long a they should be able to read the second series of early readers....so on and so on.

tonyanamelia
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I do believe a balance should be used for both phonetics and site words. There are just so many words that can either not be sounded out or just are seen so often, they should be memorized anyway. With my daughter, I started with the phonetics of reading, and slowly added in site words as she went along. You just have to make sure that they KNOW how to blend sounds to make words the whole time so they aren't constantly relying on someone else to tell them what new words are! ;)

oredeb
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:01 PM

you know football some kids just cant learn with site words(i was one of them) and some can, if you can figure out how your kids learn, phonetically or site words(its called something but i cant remember!), go for it!  but i do know its hard for a phonetic child to learn with only site words and the same with the site word child to learn with only phonetics. so you'll need to figure out what is best for each of your children or child!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:01 PM
I agree with mem. I would do both as well. Doing both made learning a bit easier for me and my kids/students. :)

Quoting mem82:

You know what, I wasn't a believer in sight words until I used them with my struggling reader. There are so many words that phonics don't work with that we use constantly like 'the'. Doing the sight words took his reading to the next level. I sug
gest doing both sight words and phonics.

MammaG08
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:16 AM

My 5yo is doing explode the code (the A, B, C series) along with happy phonics, and we add site words into it.  The focus is mainly on phonics, but as others have said the site words help with non-phonetic words that are seen often. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN