Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For early/new readers what do you think of using high frequency site words? I'm making flashcards but I wanted to get input from others who have used this method. 

Did it work for your wee ones? Any successes or opportunities?

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Replies (11-19):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 11:25 AM

High Frequency words worked well at first with my oldest, but as words started getting more complicated, she struggled with sounding them out because she didn't have a great phonics foundation.
I've been loving how All About Spelling works in teaching phonics, and then having words like "the" that are "rule breakers", and we base that off as a sight word...
High Frequency and Dolche words do NOT work with my youngest at ALL. I tried once, and that was the end. He's doing well with AAS method too, and all I have to do is remind him the word is a rule breaker, and he automatically knows the word if he is struggling because he's trying to sound it out. Many a tear has been saved lol

MommaMeemee
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM

This was one of my primary reasons for wanting to HS. My DS went to K in a school that started with phonics, but both of my DD's went to school where they taught sight word based reading instruction. Both of my DDs are below reading level because they didn't get a good grip on phonetic pronunciations. When I pulled DD6 this year, we went straight back to basics and started over with phonics-She's doing excellent. DD8 used to cry if she had to read a picture book and now she pulls chapter books and tells me that she is going to read the entire book. (Hasn't happened yet) lol  I just let her plod away at her own pace and help her decipher the words she needs assistance with. Right now I'm just happy that she's excited about reading again.  So, my vote would go with a few other posts, that sight words are great for words that don't follow the rules, but do work on the blends and word families first.  I'd rather my child ask me for what 'the' is than not be able to blen c-a-t. The can be learned from repitition, but phonics teaches a skill they can build upon. But my opinion may be a little biased. :D

SusanReeves
by New Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:23 PM

We do both as well.  We use Explode the Code and sight word cards with my 4  year old.   She tends to sound out all her sight word cards and gets a kick out of rearranging them to make silly sentences.  There are a few sight word cards that are just that and not phonetically sound ie, the, a, I,.  She has been doing this since we started in August and is already through one whole set of cards and we have opened the next box.   It really just depends on how your child learns best.   She learned all her phonics sounds first and we started putting them together and now she does this on her own with her word wall words.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I do, because many of these words don't "sound out" the way they are spelled.   I just explain that some words just like to break the rules and I have them memorize them.

Even in memorizing, though, she begins by sounding them out a bit if she doesn't recognize them right away.    It's been giving me a chance to introduce the concept of how sometimes letters make different sounds when put together, even though we haven't started learning digraphs and blends yet.

My older ones learned too easily, so she is my first experience teaching some one who actually needed help to learn.

In just a few weeks of working on sight words, she suddenly went from not able to put the sounds together to now able to sound some things out and highly interested in the words she is seeing in her daily life.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 3:55 PM

My youngest loved them and my oldest hates flash cards.  I suggest not just using flash card but taking the card and putting it in front of the actual object.  I also suggest mostly just making it fun and using games and things they enjoy.  Flash cards are not usually good tools by themselves.  When it comes to reading the most important thing is have fun and enjoy the process.  

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:29 AM
We have the same child!!!

Quoting coala:

I used Pre-School Prep series...Meet the Sight Words 1, 2, and 3.  My LO learned about 50 sight words in just a few weeks.  My LO is not your typical early reader though.  She knew ALL letters and sounds by 19 mos and was trying to read by 2.  It finally clicked before she turned 4...almost 2 mos before she was 4.  We used the DVD's a few months after she started reading and it helped her along and brought her readin to a whole new level.  I like the idea of a few sight words like the, a, of...the ones that don't technically follow phonetic rules.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Like I said before, I have one that is harder to teach this time around.    She likes SOME flash card work, but not a ton.     I have a book I bought at a teacher supply store on clearance (best $1.49 I ever spent) that gives me lots of creative ideas for sight words and breaks them into all kinds of ideas.

Every week (if she's ready) I put up 5 new words on her "word wall."   I then put the old ones into flashcards so she is only practicing with flashcards words she's had a chance to learn.

One of her favorite things to do with her word wall words is to unscramble them.   She's getting good at it, too.   I write the letters all scrambled up on index cards and give her the pile.   She can look on the word wall for help.   I add two old words that she's learned previously and she writes the words correctly on paper.    I also make puzzles out of her word wall words (writing them really big, letting her color them, and then cutting the paper into different shapes.   I also have her swat them with a fly swatter on the wall when I call them out.   I also have a "step and spell" mat (all 26 letters on a mat).... she jumps from letter to letter to spell them.

Her sister would have learned 5-7 new sight words every day without using that.

But, I also highly teach phonics, too.   This is just a side part of phonics.

Quoting jen2150:

My youngest loved them and my oldest hates flash cards.  I suggest not just using flash card but taking the card and putting it in front of the actual object.  I also suggest mostly just making it fun and using games and things they enjoy.  Flash cards are not usually good tools by themselves.  When it comes to reading the most important thing is have fun and enjoy the process.  

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Fan.

I'm NOT a fan of phonics only. I read very well, as does my mother, my husband, and our parents before us, and we were taught with a mix of phonics and sight word instruction. In many areas of the UK, they use a blend or even primarily sight instruction.

Here's the thing - you don't want your child to get so bored with drilling phonics that the feel they'll NEVER be able to read anything worthwhile. I've made the decision to throw in some sight words for my own 4 year old, because he was beginning to dread phonics lessons. It can take a very, very long time for a child learning solely phonics to be able to actually pick up an easy reader book, because so many common words follow more advanced phonics rules that aren't taught until later.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

fallenangel_353
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:05 AM

We will be doing site words, but after my youngest knows letter sounds :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)