Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Happy October! What is going on this month?

Posted by   + Show Post
Field trips? Science? Halloween or Reformation Day?
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Replies (11-20):
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:17 PM

We where supposed to go to the corn maze today but with my toe & foot being all bruised up I can't walk long distances without pain so we will be putting that off another month.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:35 PM

We have some of the favorite recipes of those who are gone and it really does make them feel closer and not forgotten even if you don't do a ritual or anything.  I think the kids got a lot out of some of the stories.  They've been really amazed by how my great-grandparents had to run away from Ireland to get married (Catholic-Protestant thing).  So I totally agree, we mutts get so much out of the old stories.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

What a fantastic idea! My mom and DH are weird about death, so I know we'll never do a Dumb Supper or a Day of the Dead ritual. It would completely freak them out.

I try to remember to ask my mom to tell stories about her family since there are no written records. DH knows very little about his. I need to start asking his mom about that sort of thing. I'm not terribly interested in genealogy, but I think it's valuable for our kids - especially as American mutts (*gg*) to see the big picture of how things came together.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

It takes a lot of gathering to be ready for the Day of the Dead at the beginning of Nov, so we've already started picking over our recipes and stories.  They are going to draw some pictures to go with the stories.  It's already fun!  LOL  Go for it!

Quoting hwblyf:

What an awesome thing to do!  I have a bunch of books I want to get on family history for kids....maybe now is the time....  :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We've decided to do both Halloween and Dias de los Muertos this year.  I've always liked the idea of the day of the dead kind of celebrating all the people we've lost to death in the past.  So we are reading a bit of the family history I've put together over the years and telling stories about my grandparents and dh's grandparents.  Making a few of the older recipes that have passed down.

Plus my Dad's birthday is tomorrow (72) and hubby's birthday is Halloween day.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM
We have several field trips this month including going to two different fairs to see the livestock and 4H exhibits. One of them has a recreation of a pioneer village with people in period costume. We'll be doing lots of Halloween art.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Well... other than home schooling...

We have our first JBQ (Junior Bible Quiz meet) next Saturday out of town..   The following Saturday is a birthday party out of town.    We have three actual field trips planned (one with the church and two with homeschool group).   We have Choir (class) practice two times a week (different kids).    We have practice for our Christmas Play at church (two of them involved).  

We have one child grounded for a month, nope, two months because she chose to mouth off really bad and Dad doubled her grounding.

I'm actually considering putting all three of them in Basketball so that my January/Feb/March can be tripplely insane.

AmyMamie
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 3:45 PM

We are taking a 2-week trip to Minnesota to see family, and since we'll miss out on formal schooling during that time, we plan to do a couple of learning field trips - one will be to the aquarium at the Mall of America, and then spend a day at an Apple Festival.  I also made up some folders full of games and projects involving Fall and leaves that have changed color.  I laminated a bunch of stuff :)  We also will do some canoeing, and see what we can learn through observation while on the water.  And for all the car driving, I have some learning apps downloaded on the boys' Kindle... So I'm feeling prepared and excited, in a school-sense!

amanda.lyn
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 5:34 PM
We're heading out on our last camping trip of the year tomorrow, until Sunday night. We are all so excited. The camp ground is having a Halloween weekend. It should be a lot of fun!
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Way cool, we made slime today.   Two different types based on adding more borax per part on the second one.  It was soo much fun!!!

We have already had a trip to UMKC's Farm Day.   The kids got to feel the inside of a fistulated cow.. .ew... Plus petting zoo, dog agility training activities, tasting tomatoes and apples,  etc etc...

We have already taken a family field trip to an apple farm, played on their haybale playground, had a small hayride and picked apples (of course).   We have made applesauce and pies out of them.  Had plenty more for dipping in caramel and peanut butter, too.

We have two field trips planned for this coming month with our homeschool group...   First to a corn maze and the second to a Wolf Sanctuary.

We also have an outting with the church to yet another pumkin farm.

We also are going out of town for a birthday party for my friend's almost-5-year-old twins this month.

Saturday is also our first big JBQ meet out of town with other churches.

Whew... I'm tired typing all of that.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:31 PM

My mom is coming into town near the end of the month for about 10 days.  I'll have her help me with having DD read, play math games etc.  We'll probably hit the zoo, aquarium and a puppet show while she's here.

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:42 PM
We're going to the pumpkin patch next week.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Please, don't ask me why I answered this post twice.   I think I met myself coming and going today.

LOL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)