Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Just curious about hsing preschoolers

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:46 AM
  • 16 Replies
What is the difference between keeping your LO home with you and hsing him/her? I have a 6 year old who I'm hsing and a 3 year old. I don't consider what I'm doing with my LO as hsing though I work with him-very short lessons of course. He wants to do what Brother does and is picking up a lot, but most of his day is playing and exploring. He goes to the hs park days and field trips with us too.
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I guess it's all just a matter of opinion.

I don't see HSing preschool as any different that what I would do with them otherwise, so I really don't consider it "homeschooling" until they are Kindergarten.   However, that could just be my personal opinion.

Yes, I DID curriculum with my two oldest.   My third, however, was obstinant and not ready, so every time we sat down with stuff (at her request), I always had to put it away because she fought with me.   I really didn't start schooling her until this year (K)...

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Quoting KrissyKC:

I guess it's all just a matter of opinion.

I don't see HSing preschool as any different that what I would do with them otherwise, so I really don't consider it "homeschooling" until they are Kindergarten.   However, that could just be my personal opinion.

Yes, I DID curriculum with my two oldest.   My third, however, was obstinant and not ready, so every time we sat down with stuff (at her request), I always had to put it away because she fought with me.   I really didn't start schooling her until this year (K)...

Same here. I'm doing the same thing with him I would be doing anyway. And he's the same about not being too interested in sitting long to work on anything.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Hm, idk really. I had a friend who said she homeschooled for Preschool but then sent her dd on to public for K. Honestly, I never considered that homeschooling, though I didn't say that to her. Lol so I guess it is just an opinion.
oredeb
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:36 AM

hmmmm not sure what difference would be, i dont homeschool the little ones, we usually start homeschooling when the child is ready for phonics, all the other stuff before that is fun!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I suppose the only difference is in how your approach it. We do formal work with our 4 year old. I probably wouldn't if I weren't actually homeschooling him, though to be honest, I wouldn't have him home at this age if I weren't homeschooling him - he would be at the Catholic school for preschool.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

All parents who do not send their child to preschool are homeschooling parents IMO as long as they are doing some kind of lessons to get their child to where they will need to be when they are in kindergarten.  There are parents who really do nothing with their children at all, their child sits in front of the tv all day.  Those parents are not homeschooling.  Their are parents who send their child to preschool and let them take care of all learning opportunities, they are not homeschooling.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I've always done learning activities with kids starting as soon as they were able to do w/e activity I was doing with them. Whether it was finding letters in the bath tub, to finding letter sounds around the house...just because we're playing doesn't mean we're not learning.
Now, I don't go over active play like that once they're older, but we still do games to learn... so I guess we've always been homeschooling??? I just always figured a "good parent" taught their kids things, so I taught my kids things lol. My 4 yr old now is doing more formal work, most of it on the K to 1st grade level because he's there and is capable. We blew through his PreK and most of his K stuff last year only working 2 days a week!

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:36 PM
I technically homeschooled for preschool. When she was 2 we used "letter of the week". When she was 3 we used Mother Goose Time. At 4 we just did workbooks and read a lot. In Oregon I don't have to report I'm homeschooling until she is 7 and she started kindergarten this year and just turned 5. When she was in preschool I felt weird saying "I homeschool". Now that she is in Kindergarten it feels right saying it lol.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Well, on the flip side... I still "home schooled" them for preschool PLUS sent them for part time preschool. They LOVED the experience and I loved the time working with the other kids.

But I still don't really think I public schooled or home schooled them.   I just thought of them as preschoolers.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't consider myself a homeschooler till K.  But I didn't do anything "educational" until K either.  It never occured to me to sit down and go over colors or shapes or letters. He learned it anyway LOL. I guess I never thought of just regular life as "school".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN