Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Just curious about hsing preschoolers

Posted by   + Show Post
What is the difference between keeping your LO home with you and hsing him/her? I have a 6 year old who I'm hsing and a 3 year old. I don't consider what I'm doing with my LO as hsing though I work with him-very short lessons of course. He wants to do what Brother does and is picking up a lot, but most of his day is playing and exploring. He goes to the hs park days and field trips with us too.
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Replies (11-16):
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 3:47 PM

In my IRL hs groups there are a number of families who have younger children only, 4 and under who consider themselves hsers.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 11:56 PM

I'm pretty formal about teaching DD (4 as of last week).  I have several package programs (handwriting without tears, RightStart Math, Apologia Science, Real Science for Kids) and I plan out what we are doing.  We do sit and read books and I explain things to her throughout the day, etc but I wanted her to have a more formal feel of school.

She was so excited to start schooling and I even have a school room set up only for her.

DD is pretty darn advanced for her age, she's already fully reading books like Biscut goes to school on her own without any help.  So she was just ready for more. She knows the planets in order from the Sun, today at her 4 yr old Dr. checkup she went on and on about whiteblood cells, platelets and microbes.  I have no idea where she picked all this up other than from her father!

She is also a perfectionist and needs lots of structure, which is why we needed a room and schedule.

My point is that each child is different.  I may not do the same for her brother (he's 20 mo now) but I know that DD was ready for much much more and actually needs it. 

DH has commented several times how my relationship with DD is so much better now that we are homeschooling.  I think she craves that one on one alone time with me (we try to do it while DS is napping) and she LOVES to learn new things.

This child would not survive if I just went about my day and then added in learning.  She craves too much one on one attention.  There really was a shift for us when we started school on Sept 3rd!

Honey_Comb
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:19 AM
I'd say the difference would be when they are just home with you it may not be as structured as it is when people consider hsing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:24 AM

I think it depends.  I really do not think I am homeschooling my 3 year old, but I do have to have a plan for her because she does want to do school.  She just learned how to write the letter A today.  I am so proud of her.  But I am homeschooling her 4 year old brother.  He is 4 1/2 and we are learning to read and doing simple math. 

I think it depends.  With my 3 year old I plan but those plans can sit on a shelf till she wants them.  With my 4 year old at least for 15 min at a time, no more than 2 hours a day he has to sit down or play a game with me to practice the skills we are learning.  So I consider myself homeschooling him,

candiedgala
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 5:47 AM
When I say I'm homeschooling preschool I mean I have a list of skills and knowledge that I want her to develop or be exposed to by the time she is four to keep her on track for what I would like to accomplish in kindergarten. I have activities planned that I think will result in that development and I have a timeline for presenting these things. I know it won't go as planned, but there is a plan. If I decided not to homeschool until Kindergarten I would keep giving her information when she asks for it, which means that we mostly just cuddle and watch cartoons. So, for us things would be quite different.
HarrisonMD
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:01 AM

I have a 3 1/2 year old and a 17 month old and for them...HS'ing is just like playtime! lol...we include our lessons as part of playtime and make it into games...they love it! And just when I think they are not learning something...they surprise me! At such an early age, playtime is so important, it expands their imaginations and keeps them busy too! I plan on when DD turns 4 that we'll start putting in a few more structured items. I have to go slow with her because introducing new concepts, freaks her out and then she shuts down!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN