Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do any of you know....

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:14 AM
  • 16 Replies

Is being "behind" on coloring and drawing a symptom of something??     My 5 1/2 yr old is really tough to teach and I'm noticing that she is very careless and doesn't draw much detail to her pictures usually.   Like, I had her draw a picture of herself, and you can't tell WHAT she put on paper.

I have two neighbors that have 3 yr olds and they draw better than she does.   They can also write better than her.   Writing is REALLY hard for us.   She should be practicing her writing a whole lot more than she is, but we barely get about 7-10 words written daily.

She's smart, but has very poor fine motor control.   Yes, I've done a lot to try to work with her on this stuff... we playdoh, cut, craft, draw, write... as much as we can....

I'm just curious if this could be the crux of a lot of our problems.   Mom's with experience teaching kids with some challenges, is this a symptom of something I need to be worried about?

by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM
2 moms liked this

I would hesitate to call it an issue, really. She may not enjoy coloring or drawing. My 4.5 year old son still doesn't color or draw (unless you make him), and because he hates doing it, it's sloppy.

If you know she has fine motor skill problems, I might suggest you look into some exercises for her to do - shaping play doh, clay, etc; drawing with shaving cream, in sand, etc.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:43 AM

If it continues and hurts or is really hard for her even with the exerscises as she gets older, it might be disgraphia.

my daughter hates to write, writes like a first grader.  She is in 7th grade.  She has undiagnosed aspergers, no diagnosis because no one believes me, not family or doctors, even with the signs plain as day.  Now aspergers isn't diagnosed anymore, officially it's just autism spectrum, so still can't do anything.

I'd work as much as you can, as she gets older you'll know if something is up.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:52 AM

My eldest just doesn't like to color or draw.   This one, though, enjoys it.   She is just extremely sloppy at it.   Instead of a picture, it looks like a box of crayons barfed on her papers.   LOL!   I think they are great and she is very studious about her stuff.  

She is my only lefty.   I'm a lefty, too, and I realize that left handed people are wired different, too... LOL!

I just was wondering if her inability to draw and add details to her papers might be a symptom of something because of the other issues we have, too.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I would hesitate to call it an issue, really. She may not enjoy coloring or drawing. My 4.5 year old son still doesn't color or draw (unless you make him), and because he hates doing it, it's sloppy.

If you know she has fine motor skill problems, I might suggest you look into some exercises for her to do - shaping play doh, clay, etc; drawing with shaving cream, in sand, etc.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Here are some questions: Does SHE know what she drew? Can she see it in the crayon-barfy mess? (Love that term, btw.) Is it possible that what she's drawing is how the subject feels to her?

Or is she frustrated by what she's drawing? Does she feel that she's missing something?

My DD has become a pretty proficient artist, but until she was well into grade school, you would never have figured it based on the things she drew. It turns out that she preferred 3D art at that age, and could make all kinds of cute things with modeling clay and other media. It wasn't until she started doing formal drawing instruction in her 3rd or 4th grade art class(public school) that her drawing started to come together.

Based solely on my experience and what you've said, I don't think it's time to worry yet. Get her fine motor skills revving with different media like clay or textiles or more "touchy" things, but I wouldn't worry about drawing yet.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM

How does she do at crossing the monkey bars?  Can she swing by her arms for a minute? 

Also the ability to draw just skips some people, not a big deal.  BUT the muscle control needed for writing begins at the shoulders, so strength exercises for the shoulders will help with the control muscles.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM

So, out of my 5, it took until #4 for me to really "see" the artwork.  The books all said that kids by ____ age should be drawing stick figures.  My fave pic from my oldest is a stick figure when he was 6.  I think the age above was something like 3.  But he's physical, he's smart, he's coordinated, and he knows how to use his muscles and such.  Sometimes, people really do have a talent or lack thereof.  My lefty was in OT in school for his muscles.  Turns out, if someone is paying attention, he puts his scissors in his right hand.  Why?  I don't know, but he cuts much better when the scissors are in his left hand.  Amazing.

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 2, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I wouldn't worry about it there are lots of kids that don't like to draw or color & so are not skilled in it.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:37 PM
My 6 year old son is low tone and the main thing is he writes slowly and his hands get tired after awhile and then he gets sloppy. He draws well and his handwriting is legible. He enjoys those books that show the steps to draw a picture. If your dd really wants to learn to draw she might enjoy them too. Google OT Mom, not sure if it's still on there but it had hand exercises on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Very good point about the monkey bars! My son is low tone and works and works to cross them.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

How does she do at crossing the monkey bars?  Can she swing by her arms for a minute? 

Also the ability to draw just skips some people, not a big deal.  BUT the muscle control needed for writing begins at the shoulders, so strength exercises for the shoulders will help with the control muscles.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:51 PM

My worst writer has a hard time crossing them, but as he has inproved in crossing them, he's gotten better at writing too.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Very good point about the monkey bars! My son is low tone and works and works to cross them.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)