Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is being "behind" on coloring and drawing a symptom of something??     My 5 1/2 yr old is really tough to teach and I'm noticing that she is very careless and doesn't draw much detail to her pictures usually.   Like, I had her draw a picture of herself, and you can't tell WHAT she put on paper.

I have two neighbors that have 3 yr olds and they draw better than she does.   They can also write better than her.   Writing is REALLY hard for us.   She should be practicing her writing a whole lot more than she is, but we barely get about 7-10 words written daily.

She's smart, but has very poor fine motor control.   Yes, I've done a lot to try to work with her on this stuff... we playdoh, cut, craft, draw, write... as much as we can....

I'm just curious if this could be the crux of a lot of our problems.   Mom's with experience teaching kids with some challenges, is this a symptom of something I need to be worried about?

by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Replies (11-16):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:02 PM

She can SOMETIMES remember what she was drawing and talking about at the time, but not for very long.  Like the next day, she might remember that she was making up a story while drawing it.   However, actually SEEING it a couple days later, no... she doesn't remember and will come up with a different explanation for whatever it is.   She's definately creative, and her story ideas are awesome.    

Yes, it's entirely possible then that it's "what it feels" instead of what it looks.   She's a highly emotional, distractable child.   She is never frustrated at her drawings and creations.   I hope we can avoid that for Abby, because I get a lot of frustration from the eldest (Kaycee) who is hard on herself and gives up if things aren't "as good as" the next persons (in her mind)..

She is very oppositional toward us.   Defiant and obstinant.   She LIKES to be the "burr under the saddle" when it comes to her family.  (Her siblings, her Dad, myself...)   However, in group settings she is just the opposite.   I have had several people ask me if she wouldn't do better in school because of this.

She can't hold still... it's just not in her.   When we play games with her (board games), we cannot play at the table.   We have to play on the floor so she can flip flop and roll around.   Otherwise, she falls out of the chair, knocks the game over repeatedly, etc...   No matter how face paced and age appropriate the game, she just CAN'T not move.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Here are some questions: Does SHE know what she drew? Can she see it in the crayon-barfy mess? (Love that term, btw.) Is it possible that what she's drawing is how the subject feels to her?

Or is she frustrated by what she's drawing? Does she feel that she's missing something?

My DD has become a pretty proficient artist, but until she was well into grade school, you would never have figured it based on the things she drew. It turns out that she preferred 3D art at that age, and could make all kinds of cute things with modeling clay and other media. It wasn't until she started doing formal drawing instruction in her 3rd or 4th grade art class(public school) that her drawing started to come together.

Based solely on my experience and what you've said, I don't think it's time to worry yet. Get her fine motor skills revving with different media like clay or textiles or more "touchy" things, but I wouldn't worry about drawing yet.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I will pay more attention to this.   I know she is better than the older two were at gross motor control stuff.   She did the firemans pole earlier and started at least playing on the monkey bars.   The older two were more thinkers than doers.   That's an interesting fact to learn about writing being connected to the shoulders and monkey bars!

I will encourage her more on them when we go to the park.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My worst writer has a hard time crossing them, but as he has inproved in crossing them, he's gotten better at writing too.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Very good point about the monkey bars! My son is low tone and works and works to cross them.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

How does she do at crossing the monkey bars?  Can she swing by her arms for a minute? 

Also the ability to draw just skips some people, not a big deal.  BUT the muscle control needed for writing begins at the shoulders, so strength exercises for the shoulders will help with the control muscles.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Is she gifted?  Gifted kids tend to have fast brains and slow bodies, meaning their bodies can't keep up with what their  minds want them to do.  They also tend to be perfectionists and shy away from things that are a challenge.

I'm using Handwriting Without Tears and one thing they do is use tiny crayons for writing to help kids hold them properly.  They also have a "mat man" that helps with body awareness and drawing.  Might be worth checking out those portions of the program.  You can sometimes find them on Ebay or you can buy them on their site in pieces.

I bought this program for DD (now 4) knowing that writing would be our biggest challenge.  She loves the program and is doing really well with it!

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:13 AM

I don't think it's an issue at this point.

I do know in public school at the prek-k level the kids are taught to draw people.

Back then all my children were sent home with homework that involved them drawing people.

And when I went in for report card pick up.. the teacher explained all the things that they got points for...using scissor, counting, abcs...

Drawing people was one of the skills they taught. I think in prek they wanted stick people...then in k they wanted stick people with fingers, clothes and hair.

Maybe you could involve more drawing of people..

If she reads or writes a story have her draw what the people are doing. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:04 PM
I have a few out of my seven that are this way. My two oldest boys were 7 and 9 before they could draw or color decently. Now they both can draw but only one of them is outstanding. They are now 16 and 14.
I have found that a child just may not care yet or "see" what they are drawing or coloring so it hasn't quite connected in their brains just yet.
It is my humble opinion that you do not have anything to worry about as of yet. Some kids just take a bit longer but that does not mean they are behind. Sounds to me that your daughter is very intelligent but just has not found anything that she cares for. Things just haven't become real personal to her yet.
-jmho

Quoting KrissyKC:

She can SOMETIMES remember what she was drawing and talking about at the time, but not for very long.  Like the next day, she might remember that she was making up a story while drawing it.   However, actually SEEING it a couple days later, no... she doesn't remember and will come up with a different explanation for whatever it is.   She's definately creative, and her story ideas are awesome.    

Yes, it's entirely possible then that it's "what it feels" instead of what it looks.   She's a highly emotional, distractable child.   She is never frustrated at her drawings and creations.   I hope we can avoid that for Abby, because I get a lot of frustration from the eldest (Kaycee) who is hard on herself and gives up if things aren't "as good as" the next persons (in her mind)..

She is very oppositional toward us.   Defiant and obstinant.   She LIKES to be the "burr under the saddle" when it comes to her family.  (Her siblings, her Dad, myself...)   However, in group settings she is just the opposite.   I have had several people ask me if she wouldn't do better in school because of this.

She can't hold still... it's just not in her.   When we play games with her (board games), we cannot play at the table.   We have to play on the floor so she can flip flop and roll around.   Otherwise, she falls out of the chair, knocks the game over repeatedly, etc...   No matter how face paced and age appropriate the game, she just CAN'T not move.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Here are some questions: Does SHE know what she drew? Can she see it in the crayon-barfy mess? (Love that term, btw.) Is it possible that what she's drawing is how the subject feels to her?

Or is she frustrated by what she's drawing? Does she feel that she's missing something?

My DD has become a pretty proficient artist, but until she was well into grade school, you would never have figured it based on the things she drew. It turns out that she preferred 3D art at that age, and could make all kinds of cute things with modeling clay and other media. It wasn't until she started doing formal drawing instruction in her 3rd or 4th grade art class(public school) that her drawing started to come together.

Based solely on my experience and what you've said, I don't think it's time to worry yet. Get her fine motor skills revving with different media like clay or textiles or more "touchy" things, but I wouldn't worry about drawing yet.

coala
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:44 PM

We found that we our 5 yo got her glasses her writting, coloring and drawing drastically improved.  My 5 yo sounds a lot like your Abby.  I think they would get along so well if we lived closer together.  LOL

I honestly didn't think much about it because my DD had ALWAYS been behind with her fine motor skills.  She didn't start picking up Cheerios until she was nearly 12 mos old.  She didn't start using scissors until she was 3 1/2 and she was close to 4 1/2 before she figured out how to cut along a line that she had been given.  She is still developing, but things have gotten much easier for her in the last 2 mos....I can now read what she is writting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)