Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

NaNo is coming! NaNo is coming!

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM
  • 7 Replies
3 moms liked this

For those of you with budding authors out there, October is the month to start gearing up for NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month in November.

The grown up version of NaNo is simple. If you write 50,000 words in November, you win. Mostly you win happy feelings, but that's a good thing. :)

However, NaNo also has a Young Writers Program that lets kids participate with their own word count and lots of encouragement, pep talks from published authors, and a world-wide community of other young writers.

The kids get a student acct and moms can sign up for an educator's acct to keep track of the class you designate. You can download or order paper copies of level-differentiated workbooks to help guide kids to writing their own novel in November. (The download is free, but the paper copy is $10 for printing and shipping. We ordered the print version just because it was probably cheaper than printing out all the pages of the download.)

There are also forums for kids to communicate with other writers going through the same project. The kid forums are completely separate from the adult forums and are well moderated.

I ordered our workbook some time ago, but hadn't looked at it until today when I got the NaNo reminder in my e-mail. So I'll be setting aside some time this afternoon to put together a plan for this month so that when she starts writing on Nov 1, she'll be ready!

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:54 PM

That looks really cool.  My DS isn't a writer so we won't be doing it this year, but we might try it as he gets older.  Good luck to you guys!

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 2, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Thanks for sharing this!

oredeb
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:25 AM

good post!!!!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Hm, maybe I will ask Missie if she wants to do it. She doesn't really enjoy writing though.
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:38 PM
The workbook looks fairly useful for plotting a story and building characters. Worth a glance even if you build your own fiction writing class. At least the download is free!
kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:44 PM
This sounds like something I can do with a couple of my kids. Thanks for sharing!
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:17 PM

My dd has been interested in writing recently. I think I'll run this past her. Thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)