Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Math U See

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:37 PM
  • 23 Replies

Do  you use it?  Do you like it?

My daughter is severe ADHD, not on meds.  I am trying to find a hands on approach to teach her math.

by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 4:35 PM

We use it and we love it! 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 5:06 PM

My kids just started it this year, Mweddle, they aren't diagnosed, but they both have major focus problems.   They don't have the hyper part of adhd, but they def. have hit the markers for the inattentive part.

This has, so far, been our best solution to math work yet.   They have been enjoying the video, the hands on stuff, and then playing it out in the work.   I don't own the manipulatives, yet, just found some dollar store punch out cardstock base ten stuff and have laminated them.  They are small, but they have worked the two times we've wanted the manipulatives so far.     For my kindy, though, I might try to buy base ten stuff.

Question for anyone that has the actual Math U See manipulatives.   They are just hundred squares, ten sticks, and units... correct???    If so, I'm not going to buy them for my third and we will just use the paper ones I own.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 5:08 PM

oh, I forgot to add, ... they started them this year and we are fully in love with the program.    Math has been a lot less headaches.   However, there still are worksheets to do and such, so it's not all JUST manipulatives and such.   There is SOME work involved, and we still have days here and there that they just aren't much in the mood.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Quoting KrissyKC:

My kids just started it this year, Mweddle, they aren't diagnosed, but they both have major focus problems.   They don't have the hyper part of adhd, but they def. have hit the markers for the inattentive part.

This has, so far, been our best solution to math work yet.   They have been enjoying the video, the hands on stuff, and then playing it out in the work.   I don't own the manipulatives, yet, just found some dollar store punch out cardstock base ten stuff and have laminated them.  They are small, but they have worked the two times we've wanted the manipulatives so far.     For my kindy, though, I might try to buy base ten stuff.

Question for anyone that has the actual Math U See manipulatives.   They are just hundred squares, ten sticks, and units... correct???    If so, I'm not going to buy them for my third and we will just use the paper ones I own.

No they have sticks that are 1 unit, 2 units, 3 units etc.  It helps them to learn to add 3 (pink) to 2 (orange) is the same length as 5 (light blue).  And that a block of 4- 2 blocks (orange) is the same size rectangle as 2- 4 blocks (yellow) to learn the matching fact families.

ETA:  oops, that was the answer to the question is it just the units, tens, and hundred squares.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Thanks for answering my question.  That gives me a clearer understanding of what the lower levels need.  I can actually do all of that with the odds and ends that I have, so it's good to hear.   However, I might get the manipulatives anyway.   

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting KrissyKC:

No they have sticks that are 1 unit, 2 units, 3 units etc.  It helps them to learn to add 3 (pink) to 2 (orange) is the same length as 5 (light blue).  And that a block of 4- 2 blocks (orange) is the same size rectangle as 2- 4 blocks (yellow) to learn the matching fact families.

ETA:  oops, that was the answer to the question is it just the units, tens, and hundred squares.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Have you watched any of the videos?  I think they may give you an idea of what to make or design to use as the manipulatives.

Quoting KrissyKC:

Thanks for answering my question.  That gives me a clearer understanding of what the lower levels need.  I can actually do all of that with the odds and ends that I have, so it's good to hear.   However, I might get the manipulatives anyway.   

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting KrissyKC:

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:50 PM

My kids both liked it but I didn't like the results on the college prep tests.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:04 PM
I just posted a similar question on here recently! I am thinking of getting it for my DD who struggles with math, we have a lot of problems getting through it. She is 10 so I am hoping to get the multiplication facts down and then purchase the next level after multiplication. I have really heard great things about it. I'm hoping it works and we will use it until high school to give her a really strong base, and then in high school switch to something a little more rigorous to prepare her for college level math.
Mweddle
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Do you suggest to try a different program altogether or should I supplement with other math sheets and such?  Games?  Any advice?  I want her to get the concepts and I want her to succeed.  She needs A LOT of support.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

If I had it to do all over again I would try Jacobs Math and Teaching Textbooks but that's just me. Some people might do better with math in general and Math U See in particular.

Quoting Mweddle:

Do you suggest to try a different program altogether or should I supplement with other math sheets and such?  Games?  Any advice?  I want her to get the concepts and I want her to succeed.  She needs A LOT of support.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)