Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do  you use it?  Do you like it?

My daughter is severe ADHD, not on meds.  I am trying to find a hands on approach to teach her math.

by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Replies (11-20):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Hey KrissyKC... Here's a website with printables that go with the Math U See Curriculum.  Found it on Pinterest!

http://onlypassionatecuriosity.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/base-10-multicolor-blocks.pdf

Quoting KrissyKC:

Thanks for answering my question.  That gives me a clearer understanding of what the lower levels need.  I can actually do all of that with the odds and ends that I have, so it's good to hear.   However, I might get the manipulatives anyway.   

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting KrissyKC:

My kids just started it this year, Mweddle, they aren't diagnosed, but they both have major focus problems.   They don't have the hyper part of adhd, but they def. have hit the markers for the inattentive part.

This has, so far, been our best solution to math work yet.   They have been enjoying the video, the hands on stuff, and then playing it out in the work.   I don't own the manipulatives, yet, just found some dollar store punch out cardstock base ten stuff and have laminated them.  They are small, but they have worked the two times we've wanted the manipulatives so far.     For my kindy, though, I might try to buy base ten stuff.

Question for anyone that has the actual Math U See manipulatives.   They are just hundred squares, ten sticks, and units... correct???    If so, I'm not going to buy them for my third and we will just use the paper ones I own.

No they have sticks that are 1 unit, 2 units, 3 units etc.  It helps them to learn to add 3 (pink) to 2 (orange) is the same length as 5 (light blue).  And that a block of 4- 2 blocks (orange) is the same size rectangle as 2- 4 blocks (yellow) to learn the matching fact families.

ETA:  oops, that was the answer to the question is it just the units, tens, and hundred squares.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Thank you sooo much for sharing this! I hope I remember to come on here on the laptop tomorrow and bookmark this! Super helpful for those of us with very little budgets!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Hey KrissyKC... Here's a website with printables that go with the Math U See Curriculum.  Found it on Pinterest!

http://onlypassionatecuriosity.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/base-10-multicolor-blocks.pdf

Quoting KrissyKC:

Thanks for answering my question.  That gives me a clearer understanding of what the lower levels need.  I can actually do all of that with the odds and ends that I have, so it's good to hear.   However, I might get the manipulatives anyway.   

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting KrissyKC:

My kids just started it this year, Mweddle, they aren't diagnosed, but they both have major focus problems.   They don't have the hyper part of adhd, but they def. have hit the markers for the inattentive part.

This has, so far, been our best solution to math work yet.   They have been enjoying the video, the hands on stuff, and then playing it out in the work.   I don't own the manipulatives, yet, just found some dollar store punch out cardstock base ten stuff and have laminated them.  They are small, but they have worked the two times we've wanted the manipulatives so far.     For my kindy, though, I might try to buy base ten stuff.

Question for anyone that has the actual Math U See manipulatives.   They are just hundred squares, ten sticks, and units... correct???    If so, I'm not going to buy them for my third and we will just use the paper ones I own.

No they have sticks that are 1 unit, 2 units, 3 units etc.  It helps them to learn to add 3 (pink) to 2 (orange) is the same length as 5 (light blue).  And that a block of 4- 2 blocks (orange) is the same size rectangle as 2- 4 blocks (yellow) to learn the matching fact families.

ETA:  oops, that was the answer to the question is it just the units, tens, and hundred squares.

ballerina.2006
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Love it!! My hyper active 4yo actually gets intereste in it as well as my 7yo dd
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Oh, I have MUS for the older two this year, but I didn't use it for them in the younger grades and they just don't seem to need the manipulatives except for 1-2 lessons that specifically asked my daughter to USE the manipulatives to find the answers instead of solving them on paper.   So, we used the paper base 10 blocks I had and they worked just fine.

My younger daughter is a bit more of a challenge to teach, and I'm thinking about getting her started on the primer level.   I was hemming and hawing about whether to get the manipulatives or not.   I'm still not even sure I want to start her on it because I usually just teach them myself for the lower grades.  It sure is cheaper.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Have you watched any of the videos?  I think they may give you an idea of what to make or design to use as the manipulatives.

Quoting KrissyKC:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting KrissyKC:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh cool!!! Thanks so much!!!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting KrissyKC:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting KrissyKC:

MammaG08
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:43 AM

My 5 year old has been using it since Aug., and he loves it!   He loves playing with the blocks too, and the lessons are simple and short. 

MammaG08
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:47 AM
The manipulatives also include 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,and 9 blocks. And they came with the "decimal street" and clock activity mats, which go with many of the lessons.
Quoting KrissyKC:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:03 AM

You are right, it's cheaper.  Math is nearly the only thing I really purchase for the younger ones, since it is so important to have a firm foundation to build on.  Besides Math U See, I purchased Hooked on Phonics (cheap at a yard sale) and HWwoT.  Then other than some cheap science books and SotW that we will use right up to middle school, it's just the paper and pencils I need.

My youngest (4) is also a challenge.  I believe he is ADHD and really needs the manipulatives.  We have redesigned every lesson for him to use the manipulatives instead of drawing.  We also built a few large scale magnetic tens and ones blocks so he can put them on the white board.  He needs to mave things with his hands and engage his whole body or I get nowhere with him.

Quoting KrissyKC:

Oh, I have MUS for the older two this year, but I didn't use it for them in the younger grades and they just don't seem to need the manipulatives except for 1-2 lessons that specifically asked my daughter to USE the manipulatives to find the answers instead of solving them on paper.   So, we used the paper base 10 blocks I had and they worked just fine.

My younger daughter is a bit more of a challenge to teach, and I'm thinking about getting her started on the primer level.   I was hemming and hawing about whether to get the manipulatives or not.   I'm still not even sure I want to start her on it because I usually just teach them myself for the lower grades.  It sure is cheaper.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Have you watched any of the videos?  I think they may give you an idea of what to make or design to use as the manipulatives.

Quoting KrissyKC:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting KrissyKC:

fallenangel_353
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:05 AM

We use Teaching Textbook 3. I love it! I just think it might be lacking just a tad. I myself was wondering about maybe adding math u see or life of fred with it.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this

You are very welcome.  You know you can use card stock and the program excel to make your own big ones.  I made mine magnetic to use on our big white board.  Just select a group of excel cells and change the background color, then make the border solid. 

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Thank you sooo much for sharing this! I hope I remember to come on here on the laptop tomorrow and bookmark this! Super helpful for those of us with very little budgets!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting KrissyKC:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting KrissyKC:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)