Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Wow...math amazes me. Multiplying by 6... EDITED Two examples given, MUST SEE!!!!!

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:31 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

Ok.    I only get the answer this way for the evens...

6 X 2  = 12...

But you can find it another way.    The two goes in the ones column and half of the two goes in the tens.   This works for all the sixes, but as you get up higher you have a few more steps.

Try 6 X 8 the same way.   The 8 goes in the ones column, and half of the 8 (4) goes in the tens column... you get 48.

It works with bigger numbers and there is even a trick for odd numbers... but my brain doesn't work that well... 

It won't let me add a link.... wonder why.. If I can figure out how to add a link I will.

EDITED:::    

See my added replies below.  

I am simply amazed by this trick to figure out how to multiply ANY EVEN NUMBER to six.

by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:34 PM

I have to figure out why I cannot add links.   It has the button faded out on my screen and won't let me click on it.

Oh well it took a little searching but I found some sites that explain some cool tricks on multiplying.  I think the kids and I will start learning some of them.

BrettsMommy927
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:50 AM

slapping foreheadim sorry, wha?

QueenCreole313
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:11 AM
Nice trick
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:40 AM

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:44 AM

That is a nifty trick :)

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:58 AM

coala
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:53 PM

That is a pretty neat trick.

With the nines family, hold your hands with the palms facing you.  if you do 9 x 2...put down your index finger on your left hand...count thumb, then index finger and put down.  you will see that you have 1 finger to the left and 8 to the right.  18.  This works all the way up to 9 x 10....as you eventually run out of fingers.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:05 PM
I get it! Cool
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:18 PM

There's a cute trick to multiply by 9's using your fingers I thought was neat when my children were learning multiplication.  Still I really didn't concentrate on such tricks when teaching them.

http://www.wikihow.com/Remember-the-9's-in-Multiplication-Using-Your-Hands

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:27 PM

No exactly.. my older two already know how to multiply thoroughly.   I'm not saying they don't make errors, but they fully understand the concept and know how to work the problems out.   I wouldn't show them this in the lower grades, but it kinda refreshes math a little to find these neat tricks.

ESPECIALLY the BIG numbers.   I mean, you memorize this process, and you can answer some of these questions pretty quickly.

Quoting Knightquester:

There's a cute trick to multiply by 9's using your fingers I thought was neat when my children were learning multiplication.  Still I really didn't concentrate on such tricks when teaching them.

http://www.wikihow.com/Remember-the-9's-in-Multiplication-Using-Your-Hands

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)