Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What are your thoughts on TV before school?

Posted by   + Show Post
Do you let your kids watch before they begin school?
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Replies (11-20):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:45 AM
If they get up early, they can have tv, video games, computer. However everything is turned.off at 9am without a word.

If they moan or complain they lose it for the rest of that week and if it is Friday, for the following week.
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

The TV is just one of the many tools we use to learn from!

jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:29 PM
I totally agree. It is a great tool. Although I am not sure if Tom and Jerry counts. Then again it does have classical music. Tom sometimes has some inventive contraptions. One of my sons favorites is modern marvels and mythbusters. I have seen them get so many creative ideas from things they have seen.
Quoting usmom3:

BatMom.
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:31 PM
The TV stays off until the evenings, every school day.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't limit TV or games.  If they want to watch TV early in the morning they are completely fine.     Honestly they seldom ask early in the morning.  

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I was allowing him to play xbox or watch tv in the morning but it has given us problems.  So starting next week no xbox and only something relevent to school is allowed in the mornings. 

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I am sure if we tried really hard we could find educational value in everything but that dose not mean I will let them watch anything! There are some shows I just can't allow in my house!

Quoting jen2150:

I totally agree. It is a great tool. Although I am not sure if Tom and Jerry counts. Then again it does have classical music. Tom sometimes has some inventive contraptions. One of my sons favorites is modern marvels and mythbusters. I have seen them get so many creative ideas from things they have seen.
Quoting usmom3:

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:55 PM
2 moms liked this
Us too. They watch tv until 9, then it gets shut off until our lunch break, then again until we're done with the day.

They love watching Too Cute (about kittens or puppies from birth to 12 weeks) or science videos anyhow in the morning. :)

Quoting mem82:

I think I'm the only one that allows it for the first hour we are awake.
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:56 PM

no, Maybe if it was some relaly important news coverage or something. Or, if for some reason we felt it was imperative to start the day with an eductional dvd or some streaming show.

But, I do allow ds to listen to a novel on the computer almost daily after he eats breakfast and before he gets dressed. I find them free on youtube - I guess people just upload an entire audio file. It's been great!

We don't watch much tv at all during the week. There are a few evening shows we sometimes watch as a famiy and sometimes we find things on netflix or something. But I do allow a lot of minecraft on the computer during afterschool hours.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Sometimes yes and sometimes no. Just depends on the day and the mood.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)