Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What are your thoughts on TV before school?

Posted by   + Show Post
Do you let your kids watch before they begin school?
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Replies (31-40):
Maridel
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:59 AM

no no no. And when my H turns on the TV before school time it throw the whole day off. They give attitude when it's time to turn it off, and then it's impossible to get anything productive done when they have a sassy attitude. I usually end up upset and send them to their rooms. It's not pretty. No, tv can come at the end of the day, after schoolwork AND outside playtime.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Usually as long as I keep to the routine, my kids have no problem unsticking themselves. I will leave the TV on for the four Littles if I have to concentrate on the older two for a while. I'm lucky that my tv is in a different room, completely, than our school work.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Once in a while, during breakfast.  But it's usually on a morning that DH and I haven't seen each other for a couple days so we are catching up (he works nights usually), so the kids get a little break..  But they have been good so far about turning it off and getting to work.

But typically, no electronics until school work and chores are done.

AmyMamie
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I try not to - it totally messes up the kids' mood for the day.  If we start with a quiet morning of breakfast and playing with toys (while I prepare for the school day), then their creative juices seem to be flowing, and they're ready for some fun school activity.  But if we start with TV, then their brains shut off and they're grumpy.  

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Sometimes my children will wake up mega early (5am) and not be in the school mood.  In those instances they know they have to be bathed, dressed, teeth brushed, hair combed and have eaten breakfast before they can get on any electrical device they are wanting to plug into.  That way if/when we have to go places and do things they're ready, and they are ready to start school as soon as I'm up.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:39 PM
no TV before school. Its too distracting.
monkeybunns
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Sometimes but not often.  If I have phone calls and stuff I HAVE to make that's what we do if they won't play quietly in their room.  We also don't finish school first thing in the morning unless we have an appointment in the afternoon.  I generally have my son work on "his list" which is a few worksheets and his Draw Write Now and then we get going on the stuff I do with him.  Things will change a bit when his brother is doing more than just a few activities-for now his brother has one-on-one time at the end of our school day to work on coloring and reading activities.

blueyedbaker
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Nope. We start at 9 every morning so there is no time to watch. They can't have TV until after dinner. There are exceptions though like sick days or when we have doctors appointments but other than that no TV before school.

jwhit8791
by Jessica on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM

No, they only get to watch a few shows on the weekend.  TV not allowed during the week (DH actually took it and put it in the basement.)  I think it affects me more than the kids though.  LOL

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I allow them to watch one show while I gather materials and put a load of laundry in. 

diane5583
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:05 PM

My daughter gets up, gets dressed, and watches a cartoon (PBS kids) while eating breakfast.  We wake up at 8am,start school at 9am.  Gives me time to take my shower and get my coffee and get ready to start school and gives her a chance to wake up and do something enjoyable before starting school

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)