Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hi.  I'm pretty new to this group.  My daughter is 6 and is currently repeating Kindergarten in PS.   She has been diagnosed with ADHD and after almost a year of trying different meds we decided we no longer want her on stimulants.  However, when she is not in a zombie like state the school can't seem to handle her.  She spends each day in the hallway or another classroom for disruptive behavior.  We get notes home constantly.  She is a hindrance to herself and others.  I am so sad for her.  It's clear to me that the current way of doing things is not working for her.  She does not learn the way the school expects her to.   SOOOO we have decided to homeschool.  She is such an awesome person and she is so smart.  I think this could be really good for her but I am unsure of my abilities.  Be prepared for a lot of questions from me!  :D 

Today I am going to the school and giving the principal our letter to withdraw my daughter from school.  I will still have 2 other kids in PS so I really hope there isn't any ill feelings towards us.  I'll update when the papers are turned in.  Her last day is the 8th (before fall break).   I have TONS of learning stuff for us to do but no boxed curriculum.  I am planning on buying some things soon like MUS and games and such to supplement what I have.  I hope I am doing the right thing.  

UPDATE:  So I was nervous until about 10am when i get a call from the teacher.  She said, "your dd hasn't gotten in trouble but I am having a sub come so I am removing her from my class for that." I was like, ".....ooooook"  and she said, "she can't go to this class or this class or this class so I am going to have to put her in with your son..."  I'm pretty sure the teacher is trying to bully me into medicating her again. (she has sent notes home for everything including sucking her thumb and told me that she didn't think her current medication was working when she knew she was no longer on a stimulant) It was my reassurance that I needed that I am making the right move.  Honestly we have never gotten ANY notes home that she was being violent or anything of that sort, its always her hyperactivity...so I'm not really sure why she couldn't let the sub know that she could send kids across the hall...It's not like my daughter would try to hit her or something.  thats not her style.  She is more of a bossy type and hyper.

I went to the school and told the principal.  She brought me in the office and tried to talk me out of it.  She assumed I was taking her out because I was angry but thats not it at all.  There are many many reasons and we've been thinking about this for a very long time.  She then started giving me advice and telling me that some kids have no structure at home (I guess she thinks I don't discipline my daughter) and that I'm really going to have to be dedicated to being structured because if I send her back to school she doesn't want to have to re-teach her to be in a classroom (to be civilized, I guess...)  Overall the meeting was good and I feel good about my decision.  Now we just need to be successful.  I know that was long but I just get so frustrated with the school when they tell me she has issues with ADHD or that they think she needs to be evaluated and they admit that she has a problem that she can't control then they act like I am just not an active parent and I don't do anything to try to solve her problems.  I AM so structured and I work SOOOO hard for her.  I just pray this pays off.  Thanks for reading.

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Replies (11-20):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I have one that is the exact same way... and corn is something we are considering trying to eliminate from her diet.   Mainly because I'm diabetic and my body reacts ridiculously to corn.   I get overly high sugars when I eat corn verses even breads and pastas.   

I just have to kick myself in the pants to do the whole diet change thing for us.   Wish hubby would be supportive.

Quoting coala:

Completly off topic....I have a high energy child who would drive anyone insane because she just can't be still.  We had to put her on an elimation diet to find out what was causing reflux.  We found that corn was causing her reflux...as well as contributing to her hyperactive tendancies.  Just something to think about. 

Mweddle
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Honestly I define success, at this point, as being able to get through it and get on a learning schedule.  lol.  I am so scared that she will not cooperate with me.  Thank you though because these are words I need to remember.  In fact I'm going to write them down!  thanks!  

Quoting KrissyKC:

Just be wary of this line here.   Especially with a child that has had a poor experience in school and has any extra challenges.

Be wary of how you define success, and don't get caught in how the school, your family, your peers, etc... define success.

Embrace the trial and error it takes to succeed, too.

Quoting Mweddle:

Overall the meeting was good and I feel good about my decision.  Now we just need to be successful.  I know that was long but I just get so frustrated with the school when they tell me she has issues with ADHD or that they think she needs to be evaluated and they admit that she has a problem that she can't control then they act like I am just not an active parent and I don't do anything to try to solve her problems.  I AM so structured and I work SOOOO hard for her.  I just pray this pays off.  Thanks for reading.

coala
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I just want to let you know that the change over wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.  The only difficulties I have had are finding a smoked sausage that wasn't in corn syrup, and tortillas that didn't contain corn startch.  Most other things I have had pretty good success in.  I just make our grocery trips shorter and a little more frequent when I am in need of locating another type of food that needs label reading.  My girls are pretty good at reading labels too, so that is helping.  Send me a message if you would some more information on brand specific things and I would be happy to help.

OP:  I'm sorry your post got hijacked in this direction.

Quoting KrissyKC:

I have one that is the exact same way... and corn is something we are considering trying to eliminate from her diet.   Mainly because I'm diabetic and my body reacts ridiculously to corn.   I get overly high sugars when I eat corn verses even breads and pastas.   

I just have to kick myself in the pants to do the whole diet change thing for us.   Wish hubby would be supportive.

Quoting coala:

Completly off topic....I have a high energy child who would drive anyone insane because she just can't be still.  We had to put her on an elimation diet to find out what was causing reflux.  We found that corn was causing her reflux...as well as contributing to her hyperactive tendancies.  Just something to think about. 

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Good for you!  If she can't learn in the classroom, the classroom isn't right for her.  I was sad for my son when I pulled him out because I so wanted him to succeed.  But succeed at what?  He learns.  He's smart.  He's got it all going on.  But school was failing him, and he was feeling the weight of that.  How long can you live in an environment that tells you that YOU ARE WRONG.  Not just you're having problems, but who you are and how you are is unacceptable?  Now matter what you teach your kiddo, no matter what bit of knowledge is gained at home, she will have the support and love she deserves.  It's amazing to me how much study money and time has gone into the need for love, the need for touch, the need for it to be ok to be who you are, but we're ingrained to believe we all need to be on the same path.  Good luck on your journey!!!!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

GOOD FOR YOU! My eldest is on the autism spectrum so i can relate. The sad fact is, the PS system works fab for kids who fit within certain social behaviors. Anyone outside of that specific box is shuffled around and falls through the cracks. Good for you for realizing the current status quo was not working and striving to find an alternative! We are here for ya!

Mweddle
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:57 AM

That is ok!  I am always trying to find ways to help her.  Maybe this would. 

Quoting coala:

I just want to let you know that the change over wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.  The only difficulties I have had are finding a smoked sausage that wasn't in corn syrup, and tortillas that didn't contain corn startch.  Most other things I have had pretty good success in.  I just make our grocery trips shorter and a little more frequent when I am in need of locating another type of food that needs label reading.  My girls are pretty good at reading labels too, so that is helping.  Send me a message if you would some more information on brand specific things and I would be happy to help.

OP:  I'm sorry your post got hijacked in this direction.

Quoting KrissyKC:

Quoting coala:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Wow! That update. The teacher can be certified as a douche. 8)

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I don't think I ever imagined that word coming off your keyboard.  Thanks for the laugh!

Quoting mem82:

AmyMamie
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

In preparing for teaching a busy kid, see if you can find this book at your library or online - "How to Get Your Child Off the Refrigerator and On to Learning" by Carol Barnier.  The cover says it's for "Homeschooling highly distractible, ADHD, or just plain fidgety kids" and it has a phonics program that's gives fast lessons, and plenty of game ideas to make schooling fun for the active kid.  I LOVE it!!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:17 PM

LOL What can I say? I have a wild side. ^^ LOL

Quoting hwblyf:

I don't think I ever imagined that word coming off your keyboard.  Thanks for the laugh!

Quoting mem82:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN