Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Experts.... ???

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:43 PM
  • 34 Replies
Just looking to see what other people's opinions are....

What is an expert and what do they do?

What makes them an expert?

undefined

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe that an expert is a person highly skilled in something. It dose not have to be their career or part of their field of work. Just something they are well versed in & have spent great amount of time on, even if all of their education on the subject is self taught. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:11 PM
2 moms liked this

I hate the term expert.  Believing in an expert that has all the answers makes us stop thinking for ourselves.  I instead believe there are many people out there with knowledge on a topic, and that they can impart their informed opinion and the facts they have gathered to help others learn about a topic.  They become informed by reading or learning about a topic and they are humble enough to understand that they still don't know it all.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:32 PM
I love the last part of your post! It is so true.

Quoting usmom3:

I believe that an expert is a person highly skilled in something. It dose not have to be their career or part of their field of work. Just something they are well versed in & have spent great amount of time on, even if all of their education on the subject is self taught. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:42 PM
And this is where I am going. Who is a better expert on children than a parent?
Why do so many people listen to so called experts about families or about children or about education?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I hate the term expert.  Believing in an expert that has all the answers makes us stop thinking for ourselves.  I instead believe there are many people out there with knowledge on a topic, and that they can impart their informed opinion and the facts they have gathered to help others learn about a topic.  They become informed by reading or learning about a topic and they are humble enough to understand that they still don't know it all.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:51 PM
3 moms liked this

Exactly.  We rely far too heavily on the childhood experts, the expert teachers, the nutritional experts.  We are often so far removed from our communities and families that we are afraid that we are incapable of rearing our children without the guidance of the expert.  About a decade ago I read a book called For Her Own Good which discussed how women walked away from their own power and capabilities and began to rely on the experts to tell them what to do and how to take care of her family.  It was very eye-opening.  It ushered in the ObGyn replacing the midwife.  Enter the Public School teacher and the child psychologist instead of Aunts and Mothers in the great traditions.  It was amazing how I saw our culture with new eyes.

Quoting kirbymom:

And this is where I am going. Who is a better expert on children than a parent?
Why do so many people listen to so called experts about families or about children or about education?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

QueenCreole313
by Julia on Oct. 4, 2013 at 6:01 AM
1 mom liked this
You are the expert of your own child.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 9:20 AM
3 moms liked this

I found the best poster that I then made and hung at home.  It defines novice, apprentice, practitioner, and expert.  It's to get my kids thinking about where they are with certain skills, certain pieces of knowledge.  I love the definitions.  For this poster, an expert is someone who knows the topic well enough to teach it to someone else.

http://eberopolis.blogspot.com/2012/04/management-mentoring-monday-assessing.html

Possibly this isn't what you were going for since you and blue took it in a different direction, but I thought I'd add this.

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 9:46 AM

That's a nice poster, and good to help children see how deeply they're understanding a topic.

Quoting hwblyf:

I found the best poster that I then made and hung at home.  It defines novice, apprentice, practitioner, and expert.  It's to get my kids thinking about where they are with certain skills, certain pieces of knowledge.  I love the definitions.  For this poster, an expert is someone who knows the topic well enough to teach it to someone else.

http://eberopolis.blogspot.com/2012/04/management-mentoring-monday-assessing.html

Possibly this isn't what you were going for since you and blue took it in a different direction, but I thought I'd add this.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:37 AM
2 moms liked this

Huh, this is such a subjective question! I believe an expert is someone who knows just about everything there is to know on a subject. This could be through both book knowledge AND practical knowledge.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:43 AM

It's nice in theory to feel that one needn't have an education in order to be an expert in something, and I will agree to a point, but I'll also disagree - when it comes to something very important (say, life or death), I wouldn't trust someone without formal education in that area; someone who has been taught and tested on that knowledge. For example, when my son had his surgeries, I conferred with experts in lung, cardio, and vascular; sorry, but I wasn't going to trust someone "self educated", even if only for advice on the subject.

Other things - less life altering - sure, why not. Someone who is passionate about, and educates themselves on, the subject or field of their choice. Not sure I would consider them an expert or just very passionate though, if I'm honest.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)