Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Unit Studies?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:30 AM
  • 6 Replies

I have been contemplating going this route instead of each subject being a separate thing.  It would mean scraping a lot of the books and materials I already have, but I can use some of them later.  If you do, how do you incorporate English into it?  Mostly grammar, I can get writing and reading in easily enough, but DS still needs the basic grammar stuff and I have no clue how to do that when talking about, I don't know, castles.  I am just playing around with a lot of different ideas right now and this was one of them. 

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't do enough grammar, I usually just talk about it when it comes up.  Which is going to be my downfall, I need to work on it more. But I think it would be fascinating to study how people long ago, when they built the castles, spoke and compare it to today.  Spelling has also changed a great deal and that would be another thing to tackle.  I do units(ish), but I also do some separate stuff to make sure I have continuity and I'm moving forward in those areas.

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 9:53 AM

This is my worry, that I won't do enough.  DS is good at English and I don't want him to get behind.

Quoting hwblyf:

I don't do enough grammar, I usually just talk about it when it comes up.  Which is going to be my downfall, I need to work on it more. But I think it would be fascinating to study how people long ago, when they built the castles, spoke and compare it to today.  Spelling has also changed a great deal and that would be another thing to tackle.  I do units(ish), but I also do some separate stuff to make sure I have continuity and I'm moving forward in those areas.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:34 AM
2 moms liked this

Honestly, for grammar, I usually have a couple of rules of the month, and when the kids are writing about the units, they have to incorporate the 'rules'.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes, I just look for a themed grammar sheet online. LOL

oredeb
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

ive been using units studies for all the subjects for years now, except math and english(grammer inclulded) i have a separate book for math and for english(even though i include some in my unit studies.) its worked for us all these years.

oredeb
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:03 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)