Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Going Back...

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 1:07 PM
  • 6 Replies
I've home schooled my two daughters for the last two years. My younger daughter will never be taken back to that public school because I'd have nightmares and spend every day worried sick about her because really it was that bad. However, my 9 year old is a much more happy go lucky smart daughter who really misses public school. I only pulled her out because she wasn't socially mature enough not to take dares from classmates and show her entire body naked in the bathroom to them if they 'double dog dared' and realized the staff wasn't much for supervising. Along with some harassment to medicate her for ADHD. She was learning and it wasn't too bad, but I was already home schooling her sister, so I figured I'd teach her too. Well, now she has matured, I've kept her academics on point, and wants to go back. What can I do as a home schooling mom for the remainder of the year to help prepare her for a return to 4th grade next year? She only has one year in that school before going to a transitional middle school building. So I'm sure she'll be fine there for a year.

I'm a Roman Catholic Christian, volunteer for League of Animal Protectors, cross-stitching, Certified Dog Trainer, green living, book reading, frugal, young wife, college student and mom to Evalynn 8yr, Ashley 7yr, Trey 2yr, and Hailey 1 year, and "mom" to 2 indoor only cats & 1 toy poodle and Pekingese!

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Find out what the school is teaching for the grade she is in as well as the grade she will be going into & get her on level with all that so that when she returns she is not behind or ahead.

oredeb
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this

does she have friends at the school? make some friends that go to the school would probably help,

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Both above posters have great advice.
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 4, 2013 at 6:39 PM

as the others said maybe make contact or find out what they are teaching for that grade level so you can play catch up or see where you are at. best wishes!

LavenderMom23
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:39 PM
She did go there for two years so I'm sure she knows many students. Some of which she kept in weekly contact with through church classes.

Quoting oredeb:

does she have friends at the school? make some friends that go to the school would probably help,

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Are you friends with any of her friends' parents?  If so, I would talk to them about this, and periodically ask them what their students are working on in class, so you'll know if it's something you've covered/plan to cover.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)