Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Five Homeschool Parent Types ** NOW WITH POLL**

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What kind of homeschool parent are you?

Options:

Religious

Academic

Dilettante

Activist

Blue-ribbon winner

2 or more of them

None of them

I homeschool because I hate the way the school system teaches and because I know that I can do a better job than they can

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 65

View Results

I found this interesting READ HERE .

Do you fit in any of them?

The one that is closest to us is the Activist but it is not intentional. The choices we have made are personal ones not to make statements, they just happen to be very controversial to the general population!

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Replies (41-46):
Mommy2Phenley
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 3:41 PM
I didn't like any of those options (the article, not the poll). I kind of fit a little of each except religious, but none to the extreme she presents. Definitely an off-putting air to the whole thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ecoseem
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I'm a mix of the Dilitante and the Activist, probably a 60/40 mix

posh417
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I don't fit into any of the listed categories... I have a cirriculum that I follow and do things by the book, but I'm not an expert in any one thing and I'm not an overachiever, nor do I expect or encourage my kids to be. We take it one day at a time, stress-free, and stick to our routine.

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:56 AM

I am not any of those, nor do I aspire to fit into any of those categories. I certainly don't want her attitude!

As far as the discussion on children being gifted, I prefer to not concentrate upon labels. With homeschooling, there is no limit. In addition, I think many times labels make us focus upon only a small aspect (i. e. Academics) of the child, rather than training the child for life, in more of a wholistic approach, which includes academics, of course.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:21 AM
I didn't like how she described any if them. My kids have different needs, so I am at least two, but I really try not to be any. I don't want to focus on only one aspect, but I also don't want everything to be everywhere. I want them to learn and be ready for college, but that's not my only goal. I want them to grow up and do the right thing, but we are not super religious. I do go against the mainstream on many things, but that isn't our sole reason for hsing...I just actually think before I agree or believe things and do my own research, I am just not a lemming (anymore! I was part of the herd for most of my life until the past couple years). And I am by no means an expert in anything, I don't think I've ever won a blue ribbon...I would be thrilled for my kids if they did, but it's not someone I expect or require.

I just don't know what I am yet. I love my kids and want what's best for them...I think that's what most homeschoolers (and ALL) parents are.
coala
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:40 AM

We are a combination of Academic, Religious, and Activist.

The Activist isn't by "choice", it just happens to be who we are and the decisions we are making for our family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)