Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Five Homeschool Parent Types ** NOW WITH POLL**

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What kind of homeschool parent are you?

Options:

Religious

Academic

Dilettante

Activist

Blue-ribbon winner

2 or more of them

None of them

I homeschool because I hate the way the school system teaches and because I know that I can do a better job than they can

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 65

View Results

I found this interesting READ HERE .

Do you fit in any of them?

The one that is closest to us is the Activist but it is not intentional. The choices we have made are personal ones not to make statements, they just happen to be very controversial to the general population!

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Replies (11-20):
Jenn8604
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:05 PM
2 or more
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:05 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree that the whole article seemed a bit snarky, Susan. I'm hardly a "religious fanatic" , though we do homeschool for religious reasons. "fanatic" makes me think of people who bomb other denomination's houses of worship or something. I take issue with her other assumptions, as well. I am concerned with their academics, but I'm not a grade nazi. I couldn't possibly choose even two categories for myself, these descriptions are way too narrow.

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:08 PM

LOL, we can hope!

Quoting usmom3:

Maybe she was just PMSing when she wrote that! That is my hope anyways other wise I have to think she was just being a total B!$@& about the different types of homeschoolers!

Quoting kmath:

Yeah, the bitchy snarkiness of the article was off-putting.  Plus the fact that she labled every one of those as fanatical and tore each of them down.  Maybe that was my problem with trying to pick any one of them as our homeschool. 

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I'm definitely an Academic type, but I'm not "fanatical," as she writes. I'm also not crazy about how she rather sneeringly says, "These families are convinced that their kids are smarter than average."

I'm not delusional, nor do I think my child is some kind of savant. But I know - and have the numbers to back it up - that my kids are gifted. I'm not imagining it and I really dislike the attitude that says if your child actually IS more intelligent than another, you should just keep your mouth shut about it and try to bring them down to average. My child's intelligence is 1) no reflection on other children and 2) doesn't mean they're spoiled or sheltered or pushed.

Sorry. That's one of my soapboxes.

Anyway, Academic. Without all the bitchy snarkiness of the article.

SusanTheWriter
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Shoot. I think I accidentally clicked "Activist" instead of "Academic" on the poll. Oops!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM
2 moms liked this

There's a book that, while short and somewhat superficial, makes me smile:  If This is a Gift, Can I Send it Back? addresses that whole talking about your child's accomplishments and others feeling like you're always bragging.  When I was training my dog (stick with me here, it's not as bad an analogy as it sounds going in), people were amazed at how well I did with her.  I gotta say, it was mostly her.  It's just her personality, and we happened to work well with her.  I feel that same way with my son (mostly, some days I don't work so well with him).  He's "gifted", with all that implies, but his smarts and his drive to learn, and his ability to soak it all up, that's him.  And it doesn't mean that others are ______ (stupid, lazy, less than my kid, whatever), it just means we're all different.

That's my little rant for the day.  Kinda weak as far as rants, but I'm tired.  :)

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I'm definitely an Academic type, but I'm not "fanatical," as she writes. I'm also not crazy about how she rather sneeringly says, "These families are convinced that their kids are smarter than average."

I'm not delusional, nor do I think my child is some kind of savant. But I know - and have the numbers to back it up - that my kids are gifted. I'm not imagining it and I really dislike the attitude that says if your child actually IS more intelligent than another, you should just keep your mouth shut about it and try to bring them down to average. My child's intelligence is 1) no reflection on other children and 2) doesn't mean they're spoiled or sheltered or pushed.

Sorry. That's one of my soapboxes.

Anyway, Academic. Without all the bitchy snarkiness of the article.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Laissez faire has always given me the impression of not really caring.  So I care, but I'm not overzealous, not a hard pusher, and today, definitely a slacker.

Quoting usmom3:

If you go to the comments of the article there are Moms that are saying they are "Laissez faire type"  (their words not mine)!

Quoting hwblyf:

I don't feel like I fit any of those.  Where's the slacker mom category?  Today I feel that's me.

autodidact
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Activist/academic, except that I just want them to develop their minds and a love of learning and respect for knowldge more than "get into a good college"

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM
A blend of activist and academic although getting into college has nothing to do with our decision. Def not religious for us.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Our faith and beliefs are a HUGE part of every life-impacting decision we've made.   I'd say I fall most under religious.   However, there were a ton of other factors that fall into why and how we reached a decision to home-educate our kids.

unsuspected
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm a religious activist, lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN