Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Five Homeschool Parent Types ** NOW WITH POLL**

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What kind of homeschool parent are you?

Options:

Religious

Academic

Dilettante

Activist

Blue-ribbon winner

2 or more of them

None of them

I homeschool because I hate the way the school system teaches and because I know that I can do a better job than they can

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 65

View Results

I found this interesting READ HERE .

Do you fit in any of them?

The one that is closest to us is the Activist but it is not intentional. The choices we have made are personal ones not to make statements, they just happen to be very controversial to the general population!

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Replies (21-30):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:48 PM
3 moms liked this
I homeschool because I hate the way the school system teaches and because I know that I can do a better job than they can. But that reason isn't in this group either.
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Now it is!

Quoting kirbymom:

I homeschool because I hate the way the school system teaches and because I know that I can do a better job than they can. But that reason isn't in this group either.

MeAndTommyLee
by New Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 6:13 PM
2 moms liked this

I homeschool and just happen to be Catholic.  With the skyrocketing price of Catholic schools in our area, it was impossible to keep up with the costs while having 2 of our other children in college.  We tried the public school system more than once and were very unhappy with the  curriculum, policies, class size, and what the children were being exposed to on the daily basis.  I am not a  religious fanatic, however, I do have a code of morals that is not  shared  or recognized in the government system.  

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I agree that the whole article seemed a bit snarky, Susan. I'm hardly a "religious fanatic" , though we do homeschool for religious reasons. "fanatic" makes me think of people who bomb other denomination's houses of worship or something. I take issue with her other assumptions, as well. I am concerned with their academics, but I'm not a grade nazi. I couldn't possibly choose even two categories for myself, these descriptions are way too narrow.

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:16 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm homeschooling because I can give my girls a much happier experience than public school did. They were so stressed by the pace, classmates, homework, etc. We're actually ahead of their ps peers now (using most of the same materials) and they're both excited about school & learning (and doing great on their tests too!).
Monkiebut
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:26 PM
I voted blue ribbon but in reality I'm none. I'm not crazy and I let my kids enjoy being kids.

Though I don't homeschool 100%, my kids do go to public schoo and while at home we do lots of learning activities, I am VERY involved with my kids learning. Their teachers actually hate how involved I am.... But for non academic reasons my kids need to be in a public school setting.
-Kit-
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:29 PM
3 moms liked this

A bit of everything, minus the religion. Though I won't lie, there's a big appeal in keeping DD away from the social culture she'd be exposed to in the public schools here. Not that it's a religion thing, but it's definitely a moral issue. I grew up in the same schools, so I know exactly what goes on and even if it had worked out in lower elementary, I'd have pulled her before 4th/5th grade just because of the social environment.

We don't fit anywhere on the traditional spectrum in parenting or education.

Right now, homeschooling is about serving the needs and wants of a gifted kid who does not fit into public education. We homeschool with 2 other families in a daily co-op situation. The other 2 kids are gifted as well and were in the same class at public, which refused to give them the kind of stimulation and support they needed. Only been at it a week but so far, so good. Kids are all much happier and it's nice that they have each other.

I am and always have been an unschooler at heart. My daughter has other ideas. She thrives on book work and structured school days. That's fine, because it's what she wants to do and is the best way for her to learn what she wants to. If my next kids are unschooling personalities, that'd be awesome, but to me homeschooling or unschooling is and always has been about suiting the education to the child, not suiting the child to the education or suiting the child and education to the parent.

And the biggest reason of all: I just like my kid. I want to be around her. I want to be there for all her triumphs, struggles, joys and memories. I want more time to show her the world, rather than isolate her from it. I feel like parents with kids in schools miss out on a lot of their kids' life and childhood. As close as we are now, there was 10 years when my conversations with my parents almost solely centered around school. Teenagers aren't wrong when they angrily yell, "You don't know me!" because a lot of parents really don't. They know their kid's grades and teachers and occasionally some of what's going on socially, but not the person underneath that. Once the "how did school go today/how'd you do on that math test/how is the science project coming" questions are off the table (because you were their teacher, you graded the math test, and you're brainstorming project ideas with them), the person underneath the student gets a chance to shine.

snowangel1979
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:47 PM
I voted activist.
Really more of a combo of activist/ academic

I definitely have a problem with authority. (Authority must be said in the southpark cartman voice) I'm not an extremeist but I don't like being told what I can and can't do.
But also the school just can't handle theory learners.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mandallyn
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:59 PM
2 moms liked this
With my oldest in ps I can definitely say I HATE the rigid structure of ps. I hate HAVING to have the kids in bed by a certain time, getting up at a certain time. I hate the hold ps has over my life currently. But I am not all over the place. We have a somewhat flexible attitude with hs. We are activist and I want my children to learn about the world and government and its importance in our lives. But I also gs for the last option on the poll. I don't necessarily think I teach 'better.' Ps has inspired ds to write FINALLY and has shown him it's NOT all fun and games. I think he'll be much more compliant for hs next year.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I was born an activist,lol!

tonyanamelia
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I voted for the last one because honestly, my style is a combination of alot of those. I certainly want them to go to college but I don't think about that on a day to day basis and that's not the ultimate goal of my year. I am religious, but even though I use a religious text book, I use secular online school as well, and we don't center everything around christianity. I am blue-ribbon minded when it comes to art class, because me and my husband are both artists...but I don't care for perfection...I just always give them opportunities to have fun with art. I don't go CRAZY every day to stick to a schedule but about 3 days out of the week I do a very specific amount then the other two days are devoted to several special subjects. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)