Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Five Homeschool Parent Types ** NOW WITH POLL**

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What kind of homeschool parent are you?

Options:

Religious

Academic

Dilettante

Activist

Blue-ribbon winner

2 or more of them

None of them

I homeschool because I hate the way the school system teaches and because I know that I can do a better job than they can

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 65

View Results

I found this interesting READ HERE .

Do you fit in any of them?

The one that is closest to us is the Activist but it is not intentional. The choices we have made are personal ones not to make statements, they just happen to be very controversial to the general population!

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Replies (31-40):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 5, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Huh, I have to say the author has kinda a negative attitude. I've rarely found a homeschool student that learns the way the homeschool parent does - sure it can happen, but most parents struggle to teach the way the kids need to learn, rather than forcing the kids to learn the way they want to teach....which is the exact opposite of what the author is talking about. I'm waaaaay more academic - strict schedule minded - but my kids don't learn well in that environment, so I had to throw away my pretty schedules & check lists and listen to what the kids needed - which is a multi-pronged approach..lol..

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 5, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol, me too! 

Quoting paganbaby:

I was born an activist,lol!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I'm with Auto.... Activist/Academic.  But it's not about "get into college" but more into learning to logically solve problems, think through the facts, etc and Love learning.  But we do many countercultural things, so we try to follow our own rules.  We homestead, preserve our own food, use family cloth and momma cloth, composting toilet, etc.  So raising our children counterculurally makes sense to us too.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I am none of those.

amanda.lyn
by Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:32 PM
I'm not embarrassed to say it... I am doing a better job then our local school. In fact I'm openly opposed to our local school. They're dropout rate is almost 50%. They should be embarrassed! But feel free to call me "fanatic."
celticdragon77
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I found the options insulting.

redhead-bedhead
by Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Dilettante and Activist here.lol

birthymom4
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:46 AM
I don't like public school and as an Avid Atheist the private schools here are not an option.

I want my children to be able to fully grasp an idea before moving on, that is simply not possible in a school setting.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
None of those, it actually seemed like it was kind of knocking homeschool moms so I'm surprised it was written by one. We homeschool because there is no other option. The public school failed us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:30 AM
I agree. My kids may or may not be gifted I have not had them tested. Mostly because I really do not have the money and now that I homeschool I do not think I need it.

But when my oldest was in public school and my 2nd dd was in preschool the teachers, not me kept telling me my kids were bored. My kids are as smart as they are supposed to be right now for them.

We homeschool for academic reasons. Public schools could not keep up with those 2, so why should I entrust my younger 2 to them. Granted my younger 2 are not in the same place as the older 2 were at 3 and 4, but I am pretty sure it does not matter.

We love learning together and it is fun. I am not ending fun just because someone seems to think because I homeschool for academic reasons I think my kids are advanced. Oh and I do check out the gifted boards when I have a problem no one else seems to have.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I'm definitely an Academic type, but I'm not "fanatical," as she writes. I'm also not crazy about how she rather sneeringly says, "These families are convinced that their kids are smarter than average."

I'm not delusional, nor do I think my child is some kind of savant. But I know - and have the numbers to back it up - that my kids are gifted. I'm not imagining it and I really dislike the attitude that says if your child actually IS more intelligent than another, you should just keep your mouth shut about it and try to bring them down to average. My child's intelligence is 1) no reflection on other children and 2) doesn't mean they're spoiled or sheltered or pushed.

Sorry. That's one of my soapboxes.

Anyway, Academic. Without all the bitchy snarkiness of the article.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)