Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Seriously thinking about making the switch completely. *vent*

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this

So this is just a rant. As with most rants, things are left out. I just don't feel like typing out that much. I have a pile of laundry behind me that I have been ignoring for a few days. I hate folding. Anyways.....

So I have been having issues with my son's teacher. He is in kinder. School started the last week of August. They use a color system for a discipline. All kids start everyday at blue. Blue is a good day, Purple outstanding. Then Green is a "warning", then yellow, orange, and red is principle. It worked wonderfully last year in pre-k. I LOVED his pre-k teacher. His teacher this year is driving me crazy! She marks the kids down for everything. And I mean everything. Apparently she is always sending kids to the principle. She marks the kids down for accidents. My son accidently stepped on a friends toes (teacher said accident and so did my son), he gets bumped down a color. A kid behind him in line hit him and he cried, he gets bumped down a color! My son says nothing happened to the kid behind him but I can't verify that. I email her at least once a week asking for her to explain something. The kids bug each other in line (they are kids) and they get in trouble. Fine. They are supposed to tell her when someone is bugging them (touching, hitting, kicking) but when they do she tells them to stopped tattling. AH! And then he would get bumped down for playing, okay I totally get that playing and not doing work is not acceptable. But she even said that he was playing after his work was finished, She expects them to sit quietly with nothing to do. No other activities, no coloring, no worksheets. 

So on to what irked me today. She had sent home a progress report the other week saying he is not motivated, doesn't respect people, only counts to 13, doesn't write on his level,etc. So since it was a carbon copy, before signing it, I added my own note. I told her here at home he counts up to 60 with minimal help, 30 with no help, he writes all his letters and recognizes them, and has started reading. I prepare him to go to school. I do my best to prepare him and get him syked to do school work at school. He loves it here at home. Hell we do a weeks worth of homework in one night. (Homework is a loose term. one assignment was count to 10 out loud and another was touch your toes.) Isn't the motivation/preparation while in school something she is supposed to be doing too?

Today she sent home 3 work sheets with a note "This is the work I am seeing. Is it normal?". The sheets are sheets we have been working on since he was 3. A few pictures and the color. Trace the letters in the color word and then color the pictures. All 3 pages are done. Letters are traced near perfect. Pictures are colored in. Not in the lines but still colored. On the brown page he had colored 2 things with orange. Sometimes he picks up orange for brown. Now clue why, he has been tested for color blindness. But I am aware of that issue. Past that the only thing that is "wrong" is he colored outside of the lines. Is that normal for a 5 year old? I thought it was. But if not I am willing to work on that here at home too. But she has NEVER said anything about coloring outside of the lines before. 

I am confused and frustrated. I don't want to pull him out of school, I need to be able to work, but this teacher is ticking me off.

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

There are bad teachers out there.  My 2nd son's kinder teacher sent home a note to all the parents explaining that our children were all so bad they got banned from recess--which in half-day kinder is not a daily occurence, but it was for this group because they "needed it so bad"--and we all had to do extra work with our kids.  Odd thing about that?  Not a ONE of those kids had their behavior chart change from the best level.  They use eagles, and every single kid's eagle was still in the sky.  But they were horribly behaved.  You can talk to the principal, you can ignore her, you can get confrontational, you can wait out the year.  I would ask her to spell out specifically the trouble with the sheets she sent home.  I got mouthy with my oldest's 3rd grade teacher.  I don't regret it, she was a pain in the butt and was handling things horribly, but I might not have been the nicest.  :)

If you don't want to take him out, don't.  It won't do you any good to resent being in that position.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 4, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Can you try talking to the teacher, like request a meeting to really discuss what all is really happening. I would not pull him out tomorrow...but exhaust all avenues first. Good luck! But if you decide to make the switch...we are here for you!

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this

This teacher is clearly not using the rewards / consequences system correctly because it's not motivating the kids like the teacher last year. You can try to talk to her. Then if you are not satisfied talk to the principal. But pulling him is an option too. If he is happy at home but not at school that's an important consideration.

oredeb
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:09 PM

sounds like she needs some training on how not all kids are at the same level in learning! hey maybe theres to many kids in the class??

jnich4
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:43 PM
She writes down what he did that day and if i have questions i email her. Usually it results in a rant that has nothing to do with my question. Weird.... my son is happy so i am trying to be happy that even with her he is having a pleasant experience.

Quoting hwblyf:

There are bad teachers out there.  My 2nd son's kinder teacher sent home a note to all the parents explaining that our children were all so bad they got banned from recess--which in half-day kinder is not a daily occurence, but it was for this group because they "needed it so bad"--and we all had to do extra work with our kids.  Odd thing about that?  Not a ONE of those kids had their behavior chart change from the best level.  They use eagles, and every single kid's eagle was still in the sky.  But they were horribly behaved.  You can talk to the principal, you can ignore her, you can get confrontational, you can wait out the year.  I would ask her to spell out specifically the trouble with the sheets she sent home.  I got mouthy with my oldest's 3rd grade teacher.  I don't regret it, she was a pain in the butt and was handling things horribly, but I might not have been the nicest.  :)

If you don't want to take him out, don't.  It won't do you any good to resent being in that position.

jnich4
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:47 PM
I have tried to ask if i can sit in the class. Technically we dont need to ask but i want to be nice. I asked for a meeting. I asked what i can do to help him be better in class. She did answer that and i have done everything. But she wont answer about a meeting or me sitting in class. I think i may just show up. I am trying to wait for parent teacher conferences though.

Quoting aneela:

Can you try talking to the teacher, like request a meeting to really discuss what all is really happening. I would not pull him out tomorrow...but exhaust all avenues first. Good luck! But if you decide to make the switch...we are here for you!

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:51 PM

then id go the next level up...if that is the principal...and just do whats needed...if she isnt being helpful. do you know any of the other parents of the kids in the class? have you talked to them about what their kids are saying and coming home with?

Quoting jnich4:

I have tried to ask if i can sit in the class. Technically we dont need to ask but i want to be nice. I asked for a meeting. I asked what i can do to help him be better in class. She did answer that and i have done everything. But she wont answer about a meeting or me sitting in class. I think i may just show up. I am trying to wait for parent teacher conferences though.

jnich4
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I have tried talking to her. She ignores my emails about sitting in class or setting up a meeting. I have been trying to wait for parent teacher conferences but it is getting hard. He is happy at school and home. It just he is not learning anything at school. Which is why i am trying to be patient. Since he is happy and still learning from what i work with him on, then i am thinking i want to wait. But i have heard from a friend who has lived in this area for years that after pre-k, parents start pulling their kids out left and right because they dont like how/what their kids are taught. I dont know the exact reasoning but that put me on my toes.....

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

This teacher is clearly not using the rewards / consequences system correctly because it's not motivating the kids like the teacher last year. You can try to talk to her. Then if you are not satisfied talk to the principal. But pulling him is an option too. If he is happy at home but not at school that's an important consideration.

jnich4
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:56 PM
19 kids. Is that too many?

Quoting oredeb:

sounds like she needs some training on how not all kids are at the same level in learning! hey maybe theres to many kids in the class??

jnich4
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM
I dont know any of the parents. None are at drop off or pick up. I was thinking of joining the pta so i can see if i can meet some that way.

Quoting aneela:

then id go the next level up...if that is the principal...and just do whats needed...if she isnt being helpful. do you know any of the other parents of the kids in the class? have you talked to them about what their kids are saying and coming home with?

Quoting jnich4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)