Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Your child's own YouTube channel?

Posted by   + Show Post

Would you allow your child (say 7 yrs old) to have his/her own YouTube channel? With supervision of course! 

My daughter wants to make educational videos to post on YouTube. Things such as; how to make pancakes (from scratch), things that are indigenous to this specific area of Mexico, Spanish lessons for kids, Minecraft tutorials and other fun subjects she's thought up. 

I was thinking of using it as an incentive to get her to focus and make our schoolwork during the week more pleasant. Videos every Fridays or something. 

Do any of your children, say ages 7-12, have YouTube channels? If so what sort of content do you allow them to upload? Privacy? 

by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Replies (11-17):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:02 PM

No. YouTube is pretty sketchy.

I would suggest checking into Vimeo - similar, but cleaner (for now anyway).

Or, DIY.org. My daughter LOVES it - it's pretty well moderated/safe, and a great place for kids to show things they've mastered (they can earn 'badges' for skills).

fireflymcl
by Meghan on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Not YouTube. Maybe some type of blog?
QueenCreole313
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I think it's a great idea. I would limit it though to only family members and close friends. I wouldn't want strangers seeing them. I think it is a great way for the child to learn speech, show skills in writing, organization and research! 

mndzjen
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the ideas, replies, and suggestions ladies :)

I think for the time being I'll just allow her to post on my account and only allow friends and family to view her vids. She's so excited about it :) Now she wants to do a news show too and talk about daily topics in the news online that interest her. 

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Yeah, I never got to see the comments, but apparently some F bombs were dropped along with some general smearing of my child's scientific knowledge and how lame the whole thing was.  It would be nice to think a brick fell on those people's heads....

The cool thing about making them public, you can search for them no matter where you are, you feel like maybe some other kiddo saw it and was inspired, etc.  Shutting off comments is kinda like duct taping the mouths of the idiots out there.

Quoting mndzjen:

What the? Seriously, what is wrong with people?!? I'm definitely going to make the videos private, and her friends and family can have the links to them to watch. :) You're right, stupidity runs rampant on the internet at times, it's so unfortunate. 

Quoting hwblyf:

I have some videos up of my kids (their educational stuff), but it's on my husband's account.  And he's unfortunately found that disabling comments is important because you get nasty trolls even when a 2nd grader is explaining a tsunami.  Stupid internet.

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:20 PM

You can make one that is privet that requires an invitation to even find! That would be the only way I would do it!

mndzjen
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 12:12 AM

As long as her friends and family can view them for now, I'm cool with that, they're my target audience haha! When she's older I'll let her have a comment's disabled account of her own. Then comments enabled, and so on, so forth. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN