Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Taking SATs today - Update reply #9

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:26 AM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

We've tried to be very casual about these tests - no intense study classes, no pressure - and other than taking the Essay Writing course and looking over the Math sections, she didn't really "prepare." We decided to take a practice test yesterday and just do the Math sections and the Essay...

Holy cow. She blew us away. I mean, if the practice tests are at all like the real thing, I think the only place she *didn't* qualify for was CalTech.

Unfortunately, she wasn't able to finish her Essay, so if she repeats that today, her composite score will sink.

Either way, fingers crossed, prayers said, good thoughts sent to the universe!

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Good luck!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:22 AM

YEAH!!!!!!  That is awesome.  :)

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Good luck to her today !
kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Good luck!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:32 PM
So exciting! Let us know how it goes?!
Good luck!
fireflymcl
by Meghan on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Good luck! Maybe the adrenaline of it being the real test will help her to finish.
xomrs.chase
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:38 PM
I almost missed mine. I was in the bathroom puking from being so nervous.... made it just as she was closing the door LOL

Good luck to her!!! She can always retake if needed. :)
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Keep in mind that you can take most of these tests more than once.   I'm thinking that the ACT, in particular, can be taken six times a year.   You put the best grade in your transcript.

SusanTheWriter
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank goodness that's over! The test is supposed to take 3hr 45min. They went in at 7:45 and were supposed to start at 8, so you'd think noon, right?

1:45.

I spent the morning writing (yay!) and then at noon, I went back to the uni to wait. I read most of a novel on my phone, and those benches were not lumbar-friendly.

She didn't finish her essay, although she says she got further than she's been getting in practice. So there goes that score. But she felt pretty positive about the rest of it. Only answered the ones she knew, which she figures was over 80%. Did very little guessing, though, which is always an iffy proposition. The SAT doesn't penalize for questions left blank, but takes off 1/4 point for wrong answers, so guessing is not always in your best interest. Results should be in by Oct 24.

Overall, a success! We celebrated with a hot chocolate and pastry on the way home, then all went out to dinner at one of our favorite restaurants for dinner.

Monday, back to work, plus PSAT prep.

SusanTheWriter
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Re: retaking.

Oh yes, we'll be retaking. She's only a junior, so she'll take it again either next spring or next fall. They say that it's not worth taking more than twice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)