Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Video GAMES are AWESOME!!!

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 2:09 PM
  • 10 Replies
2 moms liked this

This is what my husband says all the time. He's a pretty hard-core gamer. He says he isn't...but when he gets home from work at 6, he spends most every evening playing video games or reading articles about video games until he goes to bed at midnight (unless he brought work home to do). I call it "his umbilical cord" because he puts his headphones on and zones out for hours. I'm not too bitter....lol 

Because of this, I worry all the time that my kids will become as addicted as he is. Not to say that I stop them from playing games, but I tend to give them educational video games instead of as many button pushing ones. My family is also big about using computers (building, networking, graphics, etc), so my kids know how to use a computer inside and out. Even my 3 year old and my one year old knows how to work a mouse and play educational computer games. They aren't allowed to spend all day at it of course, but they love their computer time in the evenings. 

This article I read pretty much says I'm doing alright though...so I guess I shouldn't feel too bad! LOL
http://homeschooling.penelopetrunk.com/2013/04/11/kids-who-play-video-games-do-better-as-adults/?utm_source=sidebar

Of course, as with everything in life, too much of a good thing is BAD!

by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 5, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I say even too much of a good thing is bad. You can die from drinking too much water. I limit screen time, because they need to earn it. They need to do no more than 2 hours/day and that is only if they've earned the right. I agree they are learning some things with some games - strategy, planning, etc. but they are not interacting w/ real people, they are not moving their bodies, etc. 

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I agree that some game time is good for them.  They do learn a lot from playing, especially games like Minecraft.  They still need to get up and be active as well.  So a balance is needed.  Good article though, thanks for sharing.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Yep, video games are a great tool to utilize in helping to teach/learn for school and even the world around us. But I would think that with the pixels and graphics, we need to limit our exposure as it can cause issues with our brain.

undefined

jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I have to disagree. There are so many good things that come from video games. My sons choose games similar to what they like to do in real life. They are constantly interacting with others. We play together all the time. I encourage my sons to have variety in life. They love to do so many other things. I encourage them to learn to limit themselves. I don't use limits. I simply talk to them about variety. I look for cool games I know they will enjoy. If are playing games too long I simply recommend they start a new activity. I don't limit myself so I don't limit their's. I just make sure we meet our responsibilities and have variety in our lives.
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:33 PM
2 moms liked this

We are all gamers here (It is my hubby's fault that I am a gamer by the way)! There are all kinds of things that can be learned from video games that you take for granted like reading, math, navigation, problem solving, team work, turn taking & many other things. I do agree that you can not get your entire knowledge from video games, I do believe variety is very importent for all learning! 

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Cooperation is a big one kids can learn.  Playing with DS was very frustrating until he got that he wasn't in charge and we had to work together to accomplish our goals!

Quoting usmom3:

We are all gamers here (It is my hubby's fault that I am a gamer by the way)! There are all kinds of things that can be learned from video games that you take for granted like reading, math, navigation, problem solving, team work, turn taking & many other things. I do agree that you can not get your entire knowledge from video games, I do believe variety is very importent for all learning! 

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this

My girls love working together in those Wii Lego Games to win.  They spend the whole time talking and getting excited.  I do need to make sure they help me with chores first though!  :)

tonyanamelia
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I agree with you. I do not give my kids any set limit for computer time. I just keep an eye on how much time they spend on any one thing, just as I do with everything else I keep an eye on. I also suggest something else to them if it seems like they are spending too much time obsessed with one thing. My kids like learning though, so often, it is something educational. lol I hate to stop them from learning just because it's on the pc...so I usually don't! LOL But I do think that even good things can be bad if they are obsessed over. Sometimes my husband misses our lives for weeks at a time when he's totally involved in some new game. 

Quoting jen2150:

I have to disagree. There are so many good things that come from video games. My sons choose games similar to what they like to do in real life. They are constantly interacting with others. We play together all the time. I encourage my sons to have variety in life. They love to do so many other things. I encourage them to learn to limit themselves. I don't use limits. I simply talk to them about variety. I look for cool games I know they will enjoy. If are playing games too long I simply recommend they start a new activity. I don't limit myself so I don't limit their's. I just make sure we meet our responsibilities and have variety in our lives.

tonyanamelia
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:41 PM

True that! Like someone else mentioned, games can also be social when played with friends or siblings and there are so many things that can be learned from good ones. My daughter actually became better at reading when she was four just so she could play pokemon properly. LOL She learned to read when she was 3, and she gets better every year. Now at six years old, she can now read as well as her 10 year old friend!

Quoting usmom3:

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I like video games, but when they interfere in other aspects of life, it's too much.  My son got his Wii privileges revoked for a week because he was playing when we went outside to clean up after a storm.  I told him to finish his turn and then come out and help.  His timer went off, he turned off his time and kept playing.  I see too many people ignoring real live people in front of them for electronic stimulation.  How many of our kids want the instant gratification and don't know how to spend hours inside their own heads?  I think that's a very valuable skill, one we're not defending.  I also hate how hostile we'll get or how frustrated if we can't pass a level or someone walked in front of us or what not.  Don't get me wrong, I totally love my games, but I think in my house in particular, we need to only use it every once in a while.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)