Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Schools do better when......

Posted by   + Show Post
I ran across this intetesring thought.

Schools do better and produce better students when they shun uniforms and call teachers by their first names. ???

Do you agree?
Would you be okay with your student calling you by your first name?

undefined

by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Replies (11-20):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I might have agreed with you until I saw it for myself. The children at this school have the utmost respect for their teachers; they also view their teachers as "partners" in their education, while still affording them the respect deserved and necessary. I keep seeing that this could cause a mutiny, but it works beautifully at this school.

Quoting kirbymom:

Don't you think that when kids feel and think they are on the same level as any adult, that child then starts to believe they are of the same social and educational and intellectual level and therefore can not do or not listen just because they think they are on the same levels(?)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Children give respect to those that respect them!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I really insist that any kids I work with, or my kids are friends with, call me by my last name.  Drives me insane when adults let kids call them by first names.  We're not the friends of the kids, we're the adults.  We're the ones who are in charge, who are responsible.  For me, that means that I'm not fraternizing with the kids, I've got a job to do, and they have their stuff to do.  I also still call my parents' friends by their last names, which drives them batty.  But hey, you shouldn't have been an adult when I was a kid growing up around you.  That's just how I feel.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Then I would say that the school is very fortunate indeed. They are the exception rather than the rule.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I might have agreed with you until I saw it for myself. The children at this school have the utmost respect for their teachers; they also view their teachers as "partners" in their education, while still affording them the respect deserved and necessary. I keep seeing that this could cause a mutiny, but it works beautifully at this school.

Quoting kirbymom:Don't you think that when kids feel and think they are on the same level as any adult, that child then starts to believe they are of the same social and educational and intellectual level and therefore can not do or not listen just because they think they are on the same levels(?)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Quoting usmom3:

Children give respect to those that respect them!

I will agree but only up to a point. I have been around families where the adults show the children all due respect and the children not showing their parents the same respect in return.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I don't know that I would say they're fortunate; saying so would infer that it's a matter of luck. I think it has to do with their many policies and that this (first name basis) fits well with those, as well as the general model of the school. He knows what he's doing and has done it elsewhere before. There is zero tolerance for disrespect - but this goes both ways (as in, the teachers aren't to be disrespectful to the students, nor the students to the teachers).

Quoting kirbymom:

Then I would say that the school is very fortunate indeed. They are the exception rather than the rule.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting kirbymom:Don't you think that when kids feel and think they are on the same level as any adult, that child then starts to believe they are of the same social and educational and intellectual level and therefore can not do or not listen just because they think they are on the same levels(?)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

housewifehell
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Personally I was raised that it was rude to call an adult by their first name so NO I wouldn't like that. I dont even like it when my toddler watches sid the science kid because they call the teacher " Teacher Suzy". And Personally I believe uniforms are a great thing because it stupid to compete with clothing in school rather than focusing on what they are there to do which is supposed to be learning.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:46 PM
Quoting AutymsMommy:

I don't know that I would say they're fortunate; saying so would infer that it's a matter of luck. I think it has to do with their many policies and that this (first name basis) fits well with those, as well as the general model of the school. He knows what he's doing and has done it elsewhere before. There is zero tolerance for disrespect - but this goes both ways (as in, the teachers aren't to be disrespectful to the students, nor the students to the teachers).

Quoting kirbymom:Then I would say that the school is very fortunate indeed. They are the exception rather than the rule.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

As I don't have the same experience with this school as you, I'll concede to your experience and knowledge on the school.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Fair enough - and I'll concede to you this:

I have no doubt that this would cause a mutiny in a less structured atmosphere/school. These children are vetted for quite a long time just to determine if they fit in well at the school, before being offered a spot there. The classes are very, very small. In another, less structured and larger school, I can definitely see where your concern would be. Definitely.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting kirbymom:Then I would say that the school is very fortunate indeed. They are the exception rather than the rule.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

As I don't have the same experience with this school as you, I'll concede to your experience and knowledge on the school.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting housewifehell:

Personally I was raised that it was rude to call an adult by their first name so NO I wouldn't like that. I dont even like it when my toddler watches sid the science kid because they call the teacher " Teacher Suzy". And Personally I believe uniforms are a great thing because it stupid to compete with clothing in school rather than focusing on what they are there to do which is supposed to be learning.

I was raised the same way. For me, I don't think progression is always a step in the positive direction.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN