Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Schools do better when......

Posted by   + Show Post
I ran across this intetesring thought.

Schools do better and produce better students when they shun uniforms and call teachers by their first names. ???

Do you agree?
Would you be okay with your student calling you by your first name?

undefined

by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Replies (21-22):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I think where we were raised may have a lot to do with this conversation, lol.

Where I was raised, it is common to call adults by their first name, preceded with Mr/Mrs (for example, I'm Mrs. Aimee around here, lol). I have zero problem being called by first name - and my full time tutoring student does use my first name (I'm just "Aimee" to her).

Quoting housewifehell:

Personally I was raised that it was rude to call an adult by their first name so NO I wouldn't like that. I dont even like it when my toddler watches sid the science kid because they call the teacher " Teacher Suzy". And Personally I believe uniforms are a great thing because it stupid to compete with clothing in school rather than focusing on what they are there to do which is supposed to be learning.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I've seen schools where the younger grades called their teachers by their first names, but once they reached at least 2nd, it went to last names. When I was in high school, I had a few new teachers who knew they were going to get married the following year, and just asked their students to call them Miss *their first name*, and the next year, would either answer to Miss *their first name* or Mrs *new last name*.  I think it was just a preference since they knew a name change was on the way, were new themselves, and didn't want there to be much confusion for the students...
I don't know if the name is what is really going to change the boundaries though either. I think it is all going to depend on the instructor and where they set their boundaries and limits. If they come off as friendly, and don't have set boundaries, and friendly goes further, that is on that teacher. I had "Frau" for my German teacher, but she mostly taught English classes. I only knew her as Frau, and she was the sweetest lady every. A great teacher, and was super friendly. But we also knew to not go past certain limits with her because she made them very clear. It was VERY hard in my English class with her the following year to call her Mrs. Johnson. I did not treat her any differently, and she didn't not treat her English class any differently than she did her German class. I also had a teacher we affectionately called The Sir, because he was student teaching, and none of us could pronounce his name to save our life. We were still just as respectful to him as we were our normal math teacher (who was out on maternity leave). We called our Band directors Mr. K and Mr. V. So I'm not so sure if there is much stock in the actual name we call the teacher, just if there are specific boundaries set, and a level of respect that has to be in the class room at all times. (Sorry if I'm rambling...this has been an excruciatingly long weekend)
I will say though, I think it also depends on if it is just their first name vs Miss, or Mr, and then their first name. I do not like my kids friends just calling me by my first name. I would rather they say Ms Nikki instead of Mrs Welch though... That way there is some form of respect still being shown as well. That might just be me though...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN