Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Let me get this straight. (community service) Update in red.

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM
  • 68 Replies

WE spent a great afternoon (6 hours total) splitting wood for our church camp.  They have a LEEP (Lutheran Environmental Education Program) that includes a tour of a Straw house with a Masonary Heater which requires wood to be split a certain way.  We split a nice stack of wood for them and had the LEEP coordinator sign off on our community service for the day. 

When I was telling our evaluator about the service that we had done, she responded by telling me that since it was a church organization it is not truly community service. 

So what is community service, why is it required, and what does it do?

Update:  The homeschooling liason says that any community service meets the requirement.  She is going to speak to our evaluator because she hopes this is not going to make others of her homeschoolers to fight the rule.  She said that she fought to not add the rule, but the superintendent wants some kind of grant.  (LOL!!  Oh that just makes everything feel a little slimier.)  If he can show over a certain number of community service hours, he can get a state grant.

by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 6:23 PM
IMO the purpose of community service is to help tie children to the world in general and their own community in specific. It is anything that helps them see that they are a small part of a greater whole and gives them a sense of connection to that community. That is why I had included it in my portfolio this year. I want the kids to have a place in the world around them. This month we decided to do our church camp's volunteer day. I think they provide a great service especially to inner city kids who get to come out to the country and touch and learn about recycling, eco-systems, gardening, preserving food, wild crafting, nature you name it. Plus they have days where contractors and other professionals come to see how to build greener homes more energy efficient, etc. Next month, we plan to help with a community dinner. Not income based, just a free dinner for anyone who wants to attend. We've done these in the past and I am certain some of the people there have barely eaten and are very food insecure. Both of these are church sponsored, so I'm not sure if they'll count as community service to her or not. I'm pretty frustrated about it.
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I don't know if we have that as a requirement here, but I think if it's a requirement from your child's school that is non-religious and through a district then it would have to be done through secular means in order to count.  If you're using a religious charter then I really don't understand why your services wouldn't count.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 5, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this
But since when did we stop thinking the "local" churches weren't apart of the community? When I was growing up, our local churches were considered to be part of the community service that kids and prisoners had to "help" as part of their community service programs for various reasons.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 6:51 PM
3 moms liked this

uhm

The local church is part of the community.   Not everyone CHOOSES to be religious, but the church itself is still part of the community.    There are plenty of buildings and organizations that are part of our community that we might not be involved in.   That doesn't make it less worthy of being "part of the community"...   

Sounds more like some one that just doesn't like religion and has to take it out on everyone.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Quoting Knightquester:

I don't know if we have that as a requirement here, but I think if it's a requirement from your child's school that is non-religious and through a district then it would have to be done through secular means in order to count.  If you're using a religious charter then I really don't understand why your services wouldn't count.

I'm not sure how they count much of anything then.  Even the charities they give to in the local elementary are often religious-based like our local food bank.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Quoting kirbymom:

But since when did we stop thinking the "local" churches weren't apart of the community? When I was growing up, our local churches were considered to be part of the community service that kids and prisoners had to "help" as part of their community service programs for various reasons.

That's my thoughts exactly!  I'm so irritated by her stance on this.  If people are being educated about our local ecosystems what does it matter if it is done at a church or at a library?  If people are being fed, why does it matter if it takes place in a church basement instead of in a community center?  Very frustrated!!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Quoting KrissyKC:

uhm

The local church is part of the community.   Not everyone CHOOSES to be religious, but the church itself is still part of the community.    There are plenty of buildings and organizations that are part of our community that we might not be involved in.   That doesn't make it less worthy of being "part of the community"...   

Sounds more like some one that just doesn't like religion and has to take it out on everyone.

I think you hit the nail on the head.  What is so funny to me is that the camp is Lutheran and the community meal is Methodist.  And we belong to a Church of the Brotheren.  It really isn't about the religious part to us, it's just that these are very local and doing what we wanted to do. 

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I really don't know, it was the most logical answer I could think of is that if it's a state ran school then they may have to have it be secular in order to give credit.

You could have your child volunteer at the SPCA, pick up trash along some road or in a park, or talk to a senior homes activities rep about volunteering there.

I think you may even be able to talk to the higher ups in your school to see if you can't fight not getting credit for what you've already done through your church.  If nothing else they should be able to explain why you can't better than anybody here can.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Knightquester:

I'm not sure how they count much of anything then.  Even the charities they give to in the local elementary are often religious-based like our local food bank.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:But since when did we stop thinking the "local" churches weren't apart of the community? When I was growing up, our local churches were considered to be part of the community service that kids and prisoners had to "help" as part of their community service programs for various reasons.

That's my thoughts exactly!  I'm so irritated by her stance on this.  If people are being educated about our local ecosystems what does it matter if it is done at a church or at a library?  If people are being fed, why does it matter if it takes place in a church basement instead of in a community center?  Very frustrated!!

Well then, you need to get a definition of the words community service and go back to her and remind her of the definition and tell her that what you dud DOES count under these definitions and she will count your efforts.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:10 PM

We had considered the SPCA, but they have a really bad epidemic of Kennel cough there.  And we just got the dog we rescued from there healthy, so no way.  LOL.

I was just wondering what other people thought of community service and why we do it, what it means, etc.

Quoting Knightquester:

I really don't know, it was the most logical answer I could think of is that if it's a state ran school then they may have to have it be secular in order to give credit.

You could have your child volunteer at the SPCA, pick up trash along some road or in a park, or talk to a senior homes activities rep about volunteering there.

I think you may even be able to talk to the higher ups in your school to see if you can't fight not getting credit for what you've already done through your church.  If nothing else they should be able to explain why you can't better than anybody here can.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Knightquester:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)