Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Let me get this straight. (community service) Update in red.

Posted by   + Show Post

WE spent a great afternoon (6 hours total) splitting wood for our church camp.  They have a LEEP (Lutheran Environmental Education Program) that includes a tour of a Straw house with a Masonary Heater which requires wood to be split a certain way.  We split a nice stack of wood for them and had the LEEP coordinator sign off on our community service for the day. 

When I was telling our evaluator about the service that we had done, she responded by telling me that since it was a church organization it is not truly community service. 

So what is community service, why is it required, and what does it do?

Update:  The homeschooling liason says that any community service meets the requirement.  She is going to speak to our evaluator because she hopes this is not going to make others of her homeschoolers to fight the rule.  She said that she fought to not add the rule, but the superintendent wants some kind of grant.  (LOL!!  Oh that just makes everything feel a little slimier.)  If he can show over a certain number of community service hours, he can get a state grant.

by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Replies (21-30):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Oh yeah, sorry that may have been confusing.  All of the evaluators approved by our school are teachers at the school.  She teaches 2nd grade.  I agree it is a disaster.  There are a few teachers at our local school that are young earthers that have to teach evolution.  It does not go over well.

Quoting kmath:

Well that just makes this whole thing even weirder.  Is she a teacher?  (I think that is what I got from that)  If so, maybe it is the homeschooling thing.  I don't see how you could teach something you don't believe in.  That sounds like a disaster to me. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

She goes to my church.  Isn't that crazy?  LOL  I do think she is against religion and education crossing, but I think she believes that teachers need to teach science but in private don't need to believe it.  So she doesn't cross her beliefs with what she does in school.  I am totally dumbfounded by that, but whatever floats her boat.  We are a science family and I do not believe that science contradicts my beliefs, so we are often the odd men out!  LOL  Thanks!

Quoting kmath:

So this is a case of either a)this lady is against religion or b) this lady is against homeschooling.  Either option is crap and she needs to be reported for it.  Good luck on Monday.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kmath:

Did she give you any kind of guidelines for what is and isn't counted?  That is total crap that she won't count your efforts today!  That is community service.  Is there anyone else you can talk to and try to get that overturned.  I just don't see how she can say that doesn't count.

I'm going to talk to the homeschooling liason for our district on Monday.  The school district asks for 32-40 hours of community service every year, for all their students.  I know for a fact that a few kids last year rang bells for the Salvation Army, and a few served food at the Samaritan Soup kitchen downtown.  So if the kids in the school can do non-secular so should the homeschoolers.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:52 PM
2 moms liked this

I had thought about fighting it before, but like I said, I think community service is a great idea!  I have already fought so much at this school, I gave them a pass on this one.  LOL.  They require a meeting with the homeschooling liason after the evaluator checks the portfolio, I have fought that one.  I just don't have time for that!  :-D

Quoting kirbymom:

I couldn't find it either when I looked. We have to be ever vigilant to the system walking all over parental homeschooling rights. There isn't any clause that I could find either.
You just stand your ground.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:But since when did we stop thinking the "local" churches weren't apart of the community? When I was growing up, our local churches were considered to be part of the community service that kids and prisoners had to "help" as part of their community service programs for various reasons.

That's my thoughts exactly!  I'm so irritated by her stance on this.  If people are being educated about our local ecosystems what does it matter if it is done at a church or at a library?  If people are being fed, why does it matter if it takes place in a church basement instead of in a community center?  Very frustrated!!

Well then, you need to get a definition of the words community service and go back to her and remind her of the definition and tell her that what you dud DOES count under these definitions and she will count your efforts.

I'm probably going to call the school Liason on Monday and ask about it.

You really should. Especially since your actions demonstrated the defining terms as stated by today's dictionary's terms or its definition. This is just another attempt to control the homeschooling family.

I agree!  And with how stingent PA is to begin with, I think I could fight having to do the community service altogether.  It is not in the state's law that I could find, but I actually really liked the idea.  However I will fight it if they are going to knitpick!

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I don't know how they manage that.  If you don't believe in something, then how can you teach others about it?  How do they keep their beliefs from coloring what they are teaching?

Sorry, way off topic, but this just boggles my mind.  I will say that since she is a teacher it might be the fact that you homeschool that is making her be a PITA about your hours. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Oh yeah, sorry that may have been confusing.  All of the evaluators approved by our school are teachers at the school.  She teaches 2nd grade.  I agree it is a disaster.  There are a few teachers at our local school that are young earthers that have to teach evolution.  It does not go over well.

Quoting kmath:

Well that just makes this whole thing even weirder.  Is she a teacher?  (I think that is what I got from that)  If so, maybe it is the homeschooling thing.  I don't see how you could teach something you don't believe in.  That sounds like a disaster to me. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

She goes to my church.  Isn't that crazy?  LOL  I do think she is against religion and education crossing, but I think she believes that teachers need to teach science but in private don't need to believe it.  So she doesn't cross her beliefs with what she does in school.  I am totally dumbfounded by that, but whatever floats her boat.  We are a science family and I do not believe that science contradicts my beliefs, so we are often the odd men out!  LOL  Thanks!

Quoting kmath:

So this is a case of either a)this lady is against religion or b) this lady is against homeschooling.  Either option is crap and she needs to be reported for it.  Good luck on Monday.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kmath:

Did she give you any kind of guidelines for what is and isn't counted?  That is total crap that she won't count your efforts today!  That is community service.  Is there anyone else you can talk to and try to get that overturned.  I just don't see how she can say that doesn't count.

I'm going to talk to the homeschooling liason for our district on Monday.  The school district asks for 32-40 hours of community service every year, for all their students.  I know for a fact that a few kids last year rang bells for the Salvation Army, and a few served food at the Samaritan Soup kitchen downtown.  So if the kids in the school can do non-secular so should the homeschoolers.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

HeeHee, they are 6 and 8, so I hope colleges don't look back quite that far.  Sorry, that made me take pause for a minute.  I'll talk to the liason this Monday and hopefully they count it.  If they don't, we still plan on doing the service days, but I'll be fighting to not have to account for them.

Quoting kmath:

Yeah, if they aren't going to count your service then I would fight it since it isn't in the laws.  Of course you can still do the service cause it is something you believe in, but don't worry about counting it.  Unless the kids need it for college scholarships or something, then I would fight tooth and nail to get it counted.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:But since when did we stop thinking the "local" churches weren't apart of the community? When I was growing up, our local churches were considered to be part of the community service that kids and prisoners had to "help" as part of their community service programs for various reasons.

That's my thoughts exactly!  I'm so irritated by her stance on this.  If people are being educated about our local ecosystems what does it matter if it is done at a church or at a library?  If people are being fed, why does it matter if it takes place in a church basement instead of in a community center?  Very frustrated!!

Well then, you need to get a definition of the words community service and go back to her and remind her of the definition and tell her that what you dud DOES count under these definitions and she will count your efforts.

You really should. Especially since your actions demonstrated the defining terms as stated by today's dictionary's terms or its definition. This is just another attempt to control the homeschooling family.

I agree!  And with how stingent PA is to begin with, I think I could fight having to do the community service altogether.  It is not in the state's law that I could find, but I actually really liked the idea.  However I will fight it if they are going to knitpick!

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL, just thinking ahead you know!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

HeeHee, they are 6 and 8, so I hope colleges don't look back quite that far.  Sorry, that made me take pause for a minute.  I'll talk to the liason this Monday and hopefully they count it.  If they don't, we still plan on doing the service days, but I'll be fighting to not have to account for them.

Quoting kmath:

Yeah, if they aren't going to count your service then I would fight it since it isn't in the laws.  Of course you can still do the service cause it is something you believe in, but don't worry about counting it.  Unless the kids need it for college scholarships or something, then I would fight tooth and nail to get it counted.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:
Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I'm sure that their own beliefs shine through.  I've heard the older kids talking about it.

I think that the evaluators being PITAs is exactly what the school had in mind when they decided on the ones they would allow.

Quoting kmath:

I don't know how they manage that.  If you don't believe in something, then how can you teach others about it?  How do they keep their beliefs from coloring what they are teaching?

Sorry, way off topic, but this just boggles my mind.  I will say that since she is a teacher it might be the fact that you homeschool that is making her be a PITA about your hours. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kmath:

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:03 PM

For some reason that struck me as highly humerous.  Well hopefully whoever you talk to on Monday will see where you are coming from and THEY won't be a PITA. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'm sure that their own beliefs shine through.  I've heard the older kids talking about it.

I think that the evaluators being PITAs is exactly what the school had in mind when they decided on the ones they would allow.

Quoting kmath:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kmath:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this

It's probably hilarious if you don't live here.  *GG*

Quoting kmath:

For some reason that struck me as highly humerous.  Well hopefully whoever you talk to on Monday will see where you are coming from and THEY won't be a PITA. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kmath:

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:17 PM

That is BS you gave your time & energy to benefit others! It should not matter if it was for a church or the next door neighbor!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Quoting usmom3:

That is BS you gave your time & energy to benefit others! It should not matter if it was for a church or the next door neighbor!

Oh!!  Oh My!!  I wonder about that.  What if I had the boys help shovel the neighbor's sidewalk.  He's nearly 80 and really shouldn't be doing it anymore.  We had discussed them doing it this winter, but I hadn't thought of it as community service.  But i wonder if that could be counted because we need someone to sign off on it.  I had the director sign off today with his singature and title, but how would someone sign off on a neighborhood thing?  Thanks!!  I've got to ask about that one too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)