Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Let me get this straight. (community service) Update in red.

Posted by   + Show Post

WE spent a great afternoon (6 hours total) splitting wood for our church camp.  They have a LEEP (Lutheran Environmental Education Program) that includes a tour of a Straw house with a Masonary Heater which requires wood to be split a certain way.  We split a nice stack of wood for them and had the LEEP coordinator sign off on our community service for the day. 

When I was telling our evaluator about the service that we had done, she responded by telling me that since it was a church organization it is not truly community service. 

So what is community service, why is it required, and what does it do?

Update:  The homeschooling liason says that any community service meets the requirement.  She is going to speak to our evaluator because she hopes this is not going to make others of her homeschoolers to fight the rule.  She said that she fought to not add the rule, but the superintendent wants some kind of grant.  (LOL!!  Oh that just makes everything feel a little slimier.)  If he can show over a certain number of community service hours, he can get a state grant.

by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Replies (31-40):
TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Good luck on Monday!  That teacher does sound like she has an issue with hs.  Six hours is a lot to lose, and I wish you the best of luck to keep it on your service cards!

Christie1952
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Your evaluator is wrong!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 6, 2013 at 1:27 PM

That's nuts! Even Salvation Army or YMCA are religious based organizations

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Good luck on Monday!  That teacher does sound like she has an issue with hs.  Six hours is a lot to lose, and I wish you the best of luck to keep it on your service cards!

Thank you!  Six hours is a lot to lose and how frustrating it would be for my boys, too!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

That's nuts! Even Salvation Army or YMCA are religious based organizations

Exactly, around here there are very few service projects that aren't religiously affiliated at all.  Even the boy scouts are considered a religious organization.

celticdragon77
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Required for what?

I am in Pa and there is no requirement to do volunteer work, to homeschool. 

My kids help me do volunteer work with the local food banks/shelters, foster care systems (state and private ran ones), and a teen moms center. I am unable to understand the concept of doing it for any reason other than it is where I come from. 

Nowhere that I volunteer is religiously affiliated. I volunteer mainly through government ran programs related to the foster care system - or referred to places through them. 

doriselm
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:03 AM

All what my girls do with the church and serving the community is counted as community service. It is the only group I trust with my children, and they talk about the reasons for volunteering in ways my children understand. Most of the time I am right there, but not always. Sounds like what you experienced has to do with anything but God. So many groups are becoming anti God, that I find this very scary. Not saying everyone has to believe, although that would be nice, but people need to realize that whether volunteer jobs are with a church group or without, it is still volunteering and helping people in the community and should count.

doriselm
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I think LA is one state that requires community service to graduate, but other states encourage it. For homeschooled children it is the same as far as I know. Reason being, to get into a college it always looks good when students have community service hours and in some cases they can count towards hours in a particular college class. So it's not a bad idea but thinking it should never be mandatory.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Required for what?

My kids help me do volunteer work with the local food banks/shelters, foster care systems (state and private ran ones), and a teen moms center. I am unable to understand the concept of doing it for any reason other than it is where I come from. 

Nowhere that I volunteer is religiously affiliated. I volunteer mainly through government ran programs related to the foster care system - or referred to places through them. 

celticdragon77
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:27 AM

I know she is in Pa (as am I) and I know Pa requires it for public school kids to graduate. However, they do not require it for homeschoolers. So I am assuming it is for something else... and curious wha it is. She is a smart woman so I trust she knows the laws. 

Quoting doriselm:

I think LA is one state that requires community service to graduate, but other states encourage it. For homeschooled children it is the same as far as I know. Reason being, to get into a college it always looks good when students have community service hours and in some cases they can count towards hours in a particular college class. So it's not a bad idea but thinking it should never be mandatory.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Required for what?

birthymom4
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:32 AM
*I* wouldn't count it.
A church maybe IN the community, but it is still a private organization that's for a certain group of people.

I had to do community service as a teen, I did 12 hours for a church. It wasn't counted because they are a "private community"...

Why do you have to do this?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)