Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Let me get this straight. (community service) Update in red.

Posted by   + Show Post

WE spent a great afternoon (6 hours total) splitting wood for our church camp.  They have a LEEP (Lutheran Environmental Education Program) that includes a tour of a Straw house with a Masonary Heater which requires wood to be split a certain way.  We split a nice stack of wood for them and had the LEEP coordinator sign off on our community service for the day. 

When I was telling our evaluator about the service that we had done, she responded by telling me that since it was a church organization it is not truly community service. 

So what is community service, why is it required, and what does it do?

Update:  The homeschooling liason says that any community service meets the requirement.  She is going to speak to our evaluator because she hopes this is not going to make others of her homeschoolers to fight the rule.  She said that she fought to not add the rule, but the superintendent wants some kind of grant.  (LOL!!  Oh that just makes everything feel a little slimier.)  If he can show over a certain number of community service hours, he can get a state grant.

by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Replies (61-68):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Quoting mem82:

Ugh, politics makes everything a little more icky. 8(

I totally agree!  8P

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:32 AM

So, idiotic politics aside, it looks like you are going to get it straightened out, which is awesome!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kmath:

So, idiotic politics aside, it looks like you are going to get it straightened out, which is awesome!

Yes!  All settled, our work counts!  I am very relieved. 

celticdragon77
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Oh I agree with you on this.

I don't think anyone has the right to tell you that it can't be religiously affliated, and normally, that is hard to find. The government IS corrupt as is their foster care system. However, it is just personal for me, so I go back there to volunteer; my kids in tow. 

My oldest daughter told me that some kids mowed neighbors lawns as community service, worked at public libraries, and some just flat out lied about volunteer work (without the school down their backs). She DID say that it could not be religiously affliated, but that seems ridiculous to me. A lot of churches do a lot of good around here even when times are tough (especially so). It is the state that shuts charity programs down when budgets need cut.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

It's one of the things that my local public school want to require above and beyond the state laws.  I hadn't planned on fighting it because I have already fought a few of their silly requirements.  I like the idea of doing community service, so I saw no big problem for us.  But in our county the teen mom shelter is run by a church, the soup kitchen has a scripture quote on the door and is called the Good Samaritan, the food banks (3) are all through churches, and there's the YMCA and YWCA.  I think my evaluator is being picky because I know a few of the public school kids that ring bells for the SA during the holidays, a few that volunteer to coach at the YMCA soccer league, and other church affiliated things and they are counted.  But these kids don't homeschool, so their grade-level chair accepts their hours.  I think the people here are overly concerned that homeschoolers are the very strict religious people and they assume some strange things that go with it. 

I personally would not volunteer for the government run organizations.  I am definately one who does not like or trust the government to do the right thing.  I know we disagree on that, but just as I wouldn't want anyone to tell you you have to volunteer at a church run organization, I do not want the school to tell me I need to volunteer at a Gov't run organization.  If that's the case, I will fight this rule.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Required for what?

I am in Pa and there is no requirement to do volunteer work, to homeschool. 

My kids help me do volunteer work with the local food banks/shelters, foster care systems (state and private ran ones), and a teen moms center. I am unable to understand the concept of doing it for any reason other than it is where I come from. 

Nowhere that I volunteer is religiously affiliated. I volunteer mainly through government ran programs related to the foster care system - or referred to places through them. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I completely understand your affinity for the foster care system!  :-)

I think that picking and choosing what constitutes community service, they'll just set themselves up for lying.  Our church does a lot more now that the economy is down, that's when we began adopting families with major breadwinner's laid off.  And the state just shut down it's food bank a few years ago as a budget cut, but the religious ones are still up and running.

Quoting celticdragon77:

I don't think anyone has the right to tell you that it can't be religiously affliated, and normally, that is hard to find. The government IS corrupt as is their foster care system. However, it is just personal for me, so I go back there to volunteer; my kids in tow. 

My oldest daughter told me that some kids mowed neighbors lawns as community service, worked at public libraries, and some just flat out lied about volunteer work (without the school down their backs). She DID say that it could not be religiously affliated, but that seems ridiculous to me. A lot of churches do a lot of good around here even when times are tough (especially so). It is the state that shuts charity programs down when budgets need cut.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

It's one of the things that my local public school want to require above and beyond the state laws.  I hadn't planned on fighting it because I have already fought a few of their silly requirements.  I like the idea of doing community service, so I saw no big problem for us.  But in our county the teen mom shelter is run by a church, the soup kitchen has a scripture quote on the door and is called the Good Samaritan, the food banks (3) are all through churches, and there's the YMCA and YWCA.  I think my evaluator is being picky because I know a few of the public school kids that ring bells for the SA during the holidays, a few that volunteer to coach at the YMCA soccer league, and other church affiliated things and they are counted.  But these kids don't homeschool, so their grade-level chair accepts their hours.  I think the people here are overly concerned that homeschoolers are the very strict religious people and they assume some strange things that go with it. 

I personally would not volunteer for the government run organizations.  I am definately one who does not like or trust the government to do the right thing.  I know we disagree on that, but just as I wouldn't want anyone to tell you you have to volunteer at a church run organization, I do not want the school to tell me I need to volunteer at a Gov't run organization.  If that's the case, I will fight this rule.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Required for what?

My kids help me do volunteer work with the local food banks/shelters, foster care systems (state and private ran ones), and a teen moms center. I am unable to understand the concept of doing it for any reason other than it is where I come from. 

Nowhere that I volunteer is religiously affiliated. I volunteer mainly through government ran programs related to the foster care system - or referred to places through them. 

celticdragon77
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

exactly.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I completely understand your affinity for the foster care system!  :-)

I think that picking and choosing what constitutes community service, they'll just set themselves up for lying.  Our church does a lot more now that the economy is down, that's when we began adopting families with major breadwinner's laid off.  And the state just shut down it's food bank a few years ago as a budget cut, but the religious ones are still up and running.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting celticdragon77:

Required for what?

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:26 PM

yes sounds slimey! So HSers don't count toward the system, you can't utlilze any of the system you pay tax dollars too, you don't get a tax credit even though you don't utilize the system in any way... yet he can count your HS education community service hours towards getting a grant for his school??? BS.

whatever, at least the time you spent doing something good counts!!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Chasing3:

yes sounds slimey! So HSers don't count toward the system, you can't utlilze any of the system you pay tax dollars too, you don't get a tax credit even though you don't utilize the system in any way... yet he can count your HS education community service hours towards getting a grant for his school??? BS.

whatever, at least the time you spent doing something good counts!!

Actually in PA we can take advantage of any PS services we want.  We can join clubs, sports, get services like speech therapy, anything we need.  I never would because I don't like how much they poke into our lives.  But we CAN if we choose to.

But yeah, I'm a bit irritated about WHY he's making these policies.  It feels slimy for anyone to get money from someone else doing community service.  Now it isn't voluntary because they've mandated it.  AND it's basically being paid for.  It's very bothersome.

I am glad our will be counted, but there's just a lot going on here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)