Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Benefits of Homeschooling....

Posted by   + Show Post
Would you say there are benefits of Homeschooling that society at large benefits from???

If so, what are those benefits?
Does this make society a bettet place?

undefined

by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Replies (11-17):
MotoStar
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Quoting celticdragon77:

I do NOT homeschool for the sake of the community!

I am right there with you.

I homeschool because it is the right thing for my son. It is a better enviroment for HIM.

Domain of the Mad Mommy
(rambling about kids, cooking and life)

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this
I was just thinking along this route. The rec center near us just announced open hs gym on Fridays, and the museum center has hs Mondays. Both are very low cost, but still bring money to places that would lie empty (sans field trips) during the school day.

Quoting jen2150:

We stimulate the economy. Our kids are so active and do so many things. There are so many homeschoolers days now I can't possibly do them all.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Quoting celticdragon77:

This wasn't about parents homeschooling FOR the sake of society. It was about whether or not that there is or isn't a benefit TO society BECAUSE we homeschool.
celticdragon77
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I understood. Maybe I should have added that I don't care if the community benefits. (No offense to you).

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting celticdragon77:

This wasn't about parents homeschooling FOR the sake of society. It was about whether or not that there is or isn't a benefit TO society BECAUSE we homeschool.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:54 AM
LOL - Not in the least am I offended. I can understand your view. Especially since today's society is like it is.

Quoting celticdragon77:

I understood. Maybe I should have added that I don't care if the community benefits. (No offense to you).

Quoting kirbymom:
Quoting celticdragon77:

fallenangel_353
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Well tbh, I dont homeschool because I feel that the public school system cant teach my child. ( Actually where we come from the public schools are great). I homeschool because we now travel with my dh, and because I just genuinely like teaching and being with my kids :) The main benefits I can think of is that, I get to teach my kids how to act. I teach them courtesy, to be humble, and kind. Since they havent been to public school ( theyre 5 and 8) they do not get to see much of the unkind acts that other children can portray. The downside is, whenever they do come across this behavior with other children, they do not know how to handle it, and just cant understand why anyone would act this way. They do not realize that not everyone is their friend, and not everyone is kind. It makes them sad anytime they are faced with this.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:28 AM
My kids were the same when they were that age.

Quoting fallenangel_353:

Well tbh, I dont homeschool because I feel that the public school system cant teach my child. ( Actually where we come from the public schools are great). I homeschool because we now travel with my dh, and because I just genuinely like teaching and being with my kids :) The main benefits I can think of is that, I get to teach my kids how to act. I teach them courtesy, to be humble, and kind. Since they havent been to public school ( theyre 5 and 8) they do not get to see much of the unkind acts that other children can portray. The downside is, whenever they do come across this behavior with other children, they do not know how to handle it, and just cant understand why anyone would act this way. They do not realize that not everyone is their friend, and not everyone is kind. It makes them sad anytime they are faced with this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)