Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
My 2nd grade boy is lonely. This is our 1st year homeschooling. So far we've done 9ish weeks of school. (We started early to take off time when baby girl gets here... due November 5th so not much longer!)
I think it will be great for us to spend time together when baby girl gets here. He will really need the extra time with me since he has been an only for 7 1/2 years.
I guess I didn't realize how lonely he is until today. He is desperate to spend time with other kids.
We go to church, and he is in the childrens choir there. They meet every Wednesday afternoon.
He dual enrolls in P.E. at the local elementary school which is twice a week. That allows him to go on all the 2nd grade field trips, participate in sports camps, etc.
We joined a local homeschool group that meets once a month.
He has always been kind of a loner... he'll play with anyone, but I find him alone quite a bit as well.
Today we went to a friend from church's house so he could play a while. There was also another boy there, and a little girl as well. I found him playing by himself 50 percent of the time we were there.
He was so desperate to play with someone today, but once he had the chance, he didn't fully utilize it. I feel really bad that he has been lonely. He kept telling me, but it never really sank in. And now I *kinda* feel guilty for pulling him out of public school. At the same time, I feel it is the best thing for us. It breaks my heart to see him so lonely... and I wish I could fix it.
Our area is a wasteland for homeschoolers, and the only ones his age are girls. We live in the country, so we don't have many neighbors. The house nearby with kids his age is off limits (the dad is on the sex offender list).
We can't do a whole lot if activities... so I kinda feel stuck. What can I do to help him? I don't want him to be lonely, but right now I don't know what else to do... we've only lived here a year, so I still don't know a lot of people, and our family lives 11 hours away. I guess I just need some encouragement and prayers...sorry this is so long!
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Replies (11-12):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Aww, honestly I advise to just keep at it. If you offer play days w/ the same group of kids regularly, then he'll get more comfortable with them,, maybe he can offer a play day as host - my kids broke the ice at first with Minecraft orPokemon. 

oredeb
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:31 PM

sounds like your doing a good job of getting him involved, its not gona happen all at once, keep doing what your doing, and i bet eventually he will start making use of those times,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN