Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poll

Question: Do you allow sick days?

Options:

Yep, movies and cuddles

Nope, work in your Pjs

I dont follow a plan.

Purple Fuzzy unicorns.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 27

View Results

Well it is 12:00 am and my son woke up and vomited...Now normally this would warrent a sick day he does go to school if he has vomited in the last 24 hours...do you allow your kids sick days in homeschooling too???

Well its the morning he slept for a good while with the help of his gravol woke up with a low grade fever. (100.3 in the ear) so we are going to lay down and watch some movies and take it as a health and carrer day have some talks about random stuff and that should count.

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 3:38 AM
Replies (11-20):
Molimomma
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:41 PM

For sniffles no, we do the usual, but when if he is miserable sick and we've barely slept or bonkers from Benedryl then no because it isn't effective learning anyway it's more like trying to herd cats and we can always catch up on the weekend or another day when he is at the top of his game.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I guess purple fuzzy unicorns stick out tongue mini

I go by the situation, the severity of the illness, and what options we have.  I try to enforce education regardless of how they feel, however if they are really sick then of course they can have water and rest it off.

We take off during times when the public schools don't so we tend to try and work during times that we can so we can choose our days off.

Connorsmommy13
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Quoting Bluecalm:

Do you have to keep an account of what you do each day?

yes but if we talk and do some reading and some other stuff like that we can count it toward that. PE just wont be covered today.

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Poor baby, hope he is feeling better soon!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Quoting Molimomma:

For sniffles no, we do the usual, but when if he is miserable sick and we've barely slept or bonkers from Benedryl then no because it isn't effective learning anyway it's more like trying to herd cats and we can always catch up on the weekend or another day when he is at the top of his game.

Bwahahaha "herding cats", I thought I was the only one who used that saying!!

Momof697
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 6:43 PM

My kids are either really sick or not at all. If they are really sick they get it off. if they are not (faking) I know it right away and they still have to do work. Actually I know this sounds cruel but if they can do barn chores they do school work. 

Connorsmommy13
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Quoting Momof697:

My kids are either really sick or not at all. If they are really sick they get it off. if they are not (faking) I know it right away and they still have to do work. Actually I know this sounds cruel but if they can do barn chores they do school work. 

He spent most ofthe day on the couch witch if you knew him would be shocking he is normally bouncing off the walls...he did puke so wouldnt have gone to school...he is in a bath right now...which isnt like him either....he has just wanted cuddles all day...which he normaly runs from...

Tommrow we will just do a lot, and we did cover reading and health and carrerr.

PeaceChild
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I play it by ear...vomiting or just acting out of sorts signals a day off.

Aleshad01
by Alesha on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:22 PM
We had a couple sick days already last month. We all had bad colds and were feeling yucky. We just sat on the couch and watched movies those days.
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Right - depends on how 'sick' we are talking. Vomiting or high fever or anything needing a nebulizer, we definitely take the whole day off. For a cold, we may just take it 'easy' for the day - skip the academic stuff but watch some documentaries or science shows, read books together, and still call it a school day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)