Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poll

Question: Do you allow sick days?

Options:

Yep, movies and cuddles

Nope, work in your Pjs

I dont follow a plan.

Purple Fuzzy unicorns.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 27

View Results

Well it is 12:00 am and my son woke up and vomited...Now normally this would warrent a sick day he does go to school if he has vomited in the last 24 hours...do you allow your kids sick days in homeschooling too???

Well its the morning he slept for a good while with the help of his gravol woke up with a low grade fever. (100.3 in the ear) so we are going to lay down and watch some movies and take it as a health and carrer day have some talks about random stuff and that should count.

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 3:38 AM
Replies (21-30):
Connorsmommy13
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Quoting hipmomto3:

Right - depends on how 'sick' we are talking. Vomiting or high fever or anything needing a nebulizer, we definitely take the whole day off. For a cold, we may just take it 'easy' for the day - skip the academic stuff but watch some documentaries or science shows, read books together, and still call it a school day.

thats what we did...covered health and career but talking about how to keep your body healthy. And we read...so just back to work tommrow :)

Outrageous
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 6:35 AM

We would stay in pjs and do reading on the sofa or watch documentaries......... or maybe even a learning game while relaxing.... and have an early day..... but we do still do some type of schooling.  We are strapped for those 180 days that we have to get in with the state law and I like to use those "no work" days wisely....  

Mommynay2
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Thank you for making this post and all replies, I have been feeling sick since Sunday. My GERD was acting up, I couldn't keep food and drinks down, then I went to the doctors yesterday and got my flu shot, now I feel terrible. I'm trying to clean and sanitize the house, but I don't feel like teaching today, so I'm having a sick day. I'm going to find some educational programs to watch and just chill out.
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:40 AM

We read and watch educatioanl tv. Or if we're ALL down with it, we just lay around and be miserable together. Now, my dd likes to play the "cramps" card.  I don't know if hers are abnormally bad, or if this is an attempt to blow off school, but I try to encourage her to power through them.  I mean, life doesn't let you get a break just because of cramps, right?

oredeb
by debbie on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:06 AM

hope he gets better soon!

Connorsmommy13
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Quoting Leissaintexas:

We read and watch educatioanl tv. Or if we're ALL down with it, we just lay around and be miserable together. Now, my dd likes to play the "cramps" card.  I don't know if hers are abnormally bad, or if this is an attempt to blow off school, but I try to encourage her to power through them.  I mean, life doesn't let you get a break just because of cramps, right?

I used to get AWFUL ones...would always put me out until I had a nap....actually went on pills...hopefully your daughter doesnt get that sick...

Connorsmommy13
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Quoting oredeb:

hope he gets better soon!

He seems better today...thank we are just taking a small break then back to work :)

Countess79
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Depends on how sick they are.. Like with your son if they puked.. automatic chill out rest and recuperate day!

However if they are just feeling not good maybe a low grade fever.. then I will still try to get math and language arts and reading done.. After that.. I just let them chill!

However should that child suddenly start running around and playing like normal.. I call their bluff and tell them if they are feeling that good they can come back here and do their work before the fun stuff.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM
This..hepends on how bed they feel. If they feel well enough for video games, they are well enough for school.

If they are sick and feverish and sleepy, they get a pass.

Quoting KrissyKC:

I play it by ear.   If they are throwing up a lot or just miserable, then no... of course they get as many sick days as they need.

If they throw up once or twice, just have a general tummy ache, etc... we usually do some lighter school, but manage to get more done than I usually expect us to.  

If they are barely sick at all, nah... we still do school.

Connorsmommy13
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Countess79:

Depends on how sick they are.. Like with your son if they puked.. automatic chill out rest and recuperate day!

However if they are just feeling not good maybe a low grade fever.. then I will still try to get math and language arts and reading done.. After that.. I just let them chill!

However should that child suddenly start running around and playing like normal.. I call their bluff and tell them if they are feeling that good they can come back here and do their work before the fun stuff.

I do the same...but he laid on the couch the entire day which is not like him, even went to bed without a fight....And he is normally literally climbing the walls! (yep he really does) he seems a bit better today...no fever and no vomiting so back to work...(mini break for snack right now))

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)