Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 lessons

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:39 AM
  • 14 Replies

Anyone ever use this book? If so, reviews? How old was your child when you started and what was his/her skill when you were finished? 

Thanks! 

Sarah

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:42 AM
2 moms liked this

We used it with all three of our children. We used it around kindergarten age (maybe 4 yrs old with our first). Around halfway through the book with each of them, their skill level is such that they are bored by the stories in the book, so we started adding easy readers from the library (level A/1/etc). I am a big fan of TYCTR. The lessons are short enough that the kids don't get too bored, and they cover a lot of information. 

We never got to 100 with any of the kids, but they are all able to read quite well. 

birthymom4
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:04 AM
We started it with my first, she complained and was a total stinker whenever I got the book out.
We ended up using The Reading Lesson and she learned very quickly.

I think it just depends on the kid.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:06 AM
I like the first chapters for the parent that teaches you how to teach them to read. My son was too active for the book.
Mweddle
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I really love it.  My daughter and I are going through it.  We started before ps started this year to just get her ahead (since it was her second year of K at ps) and she could read some words just a few lessons in.  It worked for her.  She is very active so the short lessons are good and its awesome that there are no distractions on the pages.   The only thing she can focus on are the letters.  lol.  When she is out of ps next week to start homeschooling we will pick back up with that.

oredeb
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:27 PM

hi sarah, ive never used it, but i had a friend who ussed it with her son, and it worked good, her son couldnt sit still and learn to read with anything else but this program worked for him

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I've used it with 2 of my 4 children.  I like it -- with reservations.  I generally started it when they were about 4, but it depended on the child (one was closer to 5 the other just turned 4).  It's very systematic.  Once they are done  they are at about 2nd grade level (or almost done -- one of my kids was reading fluently at about 2nd grade level or higher after about 3/4 of the book and so it didn't make sense to finish as it had already accomplished its purpose and other books were better at improving his fluency and vocabulary).  I agree with the mild criticism that it probably overdoes the special shapes for the various sounds, but for some kids it may be necessary or helpful.  The writing is useful but might be frustrating for a child who wasn't comfortable writing but was able to comprehend the reading.  On the plus side,  I very much like the fact that they teach the children to listen when they sound out a word and exactly HOW to "sound out" and give a way to practice sounding out  -- something that most other programs I've seen either  hand-wave over or don't do at all.  The gradual approach makes it non-threatening and the scripts make it easy to prep for.   I think that all-in-all it is a very good program, and most children using it will be able to read well after the 100 lessons are over.   

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:13 PM

We tried it & my kids did not like it!

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:44 PM

I agree. TYCTR is very specific about what a child should be saying and what they should NOT  be saying (in the notes to parents) and you are to correct them right away.  For instance, for sounding out 'fan' as "fuh-an" versus blending the f right into the a. Other reading programs we've tried aren't so specific. 

Quoting JKronrod:

On the plus side,  I very much like the fact that they teach the children to listen when they sound out a word and exactly HOW to "sound out" and give a way to practice sounding out  -- something that most other programs I've seen either  hand-wave over or don't do at all.  

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:51 PM
I have used it with two and plan to use it with the third. My oldest had a terrible time learning to read. He struggled and struggled. When I found 100 lessons he took off. He was 6 Almost 7.
My second child was just barely 4...she flew through it in record time and had zero issues.
They were on opposite ends of the learning curve with learning to read and 100 lessons worked for both. I'm more than sold and recommend it to anyone who asks. Plus it is cheap!
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Never tried it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN