Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

"Are you keeping up with her schooling?"

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:26 AM
  • 16 Replies
This is what my dad asked me on Sunday after he watched my kids for the night. I told him yes, I was. That BOTH my 4 year old and almost 6 year old are doing Kindergarten level work. We unschool, he doesn't quite get the concept of it, he thinks that since I don't have a formal curriculum right now, that my children will fall behind, even though they were both advanced to begin with. I don't push my kids, we do about one or two subjects a day right now, the rest of the day is "free play learning". He went on to say that my daughter had asked him a math question, so he helped her figure it out (8 + 8, so far they know everything that adds up to 10) and he went on to say she kept asking him math questions and they would figure it out together by counting on fingers and I told him at home, for numbers above 10, we use counting rocks and I assured him we DO do math at home (as if he couldnt tell by the fact that she was asking him math questions in the first place FOR FUN). I do feel my oldest is slipping a bit, but its not because I am not working on her schooling, she is loosing interest in some things. My youngest on the other hand has a HUGE interest right now for all things learning and is actually advancing on his older sister in most subjects. I have her working on spelling, but she is behind on reading, she just doesnt want to. I ask her to sound out words and she will flat out tell me "I dont want to" and walk away, if I try to force her to try to say the word, she gets a bit upset and feels forced, so I try not to push her too hard, I just have a hard time watching her younger brother read to HER because she doesn't even want to try. We read one book before bed every night and they are welcome to ask us to read them a book any time of the day, but I noticed my son, who asked me to underline each word as I read it, will literally figure out the word I am reading by looking at the word I am pointing to, listening to me say it, and in his own mind, put all the letter sounds together to re-create the word I just said, its very cool to watch him do it, I just wish I could get my daughter more interested in schooling/learning again so she doesnt fall behind her public schooled peers. :/ I don't know, everytime I start to feel a bit of confidence in my choices, someone tries to bring me down. I don't think he meant to hurt my feelings by questioning our schooling, but he brings it up often enough for me to feel like he doesn't support me at all. My kids father, my SO, supports us 100%, the rest of our family really just doesn't care, they support us for the most part, but it never really gets brought up.
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
snowangel1979
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Isn't it funny that if they were in public school he probably wouldn't question anything.

As for your DD, children naturally gravitate towards reading around 7. She is not behind. I really don't understand why schools push children to be reading in preschools or kindergarten. Just give her the tools and keep reading to her, she'll get it. I watched it happen with my DS the school was pushing and pushing for him to read. I didn't push him and around 7 its like a switch flipped and now at 9, he reads adult books with no problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambertreas76
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:42 AM

"Slipping" by who's standards?  Give yourself a pat on the back for going with child-led learning.  It doesn't sound like slipping.  It sounds like changes of interest.  Normal human behavior.  I do eclectic homeschool which is, all and all, child-led unschooling. When I start to question myself, something happens to change it all.  This morning, I sat there getting down on myself (I have a 4 and 5 year old) when my 5 yr old son pops off of the couch with his Chima notebook.  He says 'Mom, it's you and daddy.'  There it was... a drawing of my husband with the word 'Dad' written above it and a drawing of me with the word 'Mom' written above it.  Then my 4 yr old daughter says she needs to do it too!!!  Sure we look kinda like Mr and Mrs Potatohead BUT he made the two drawings and wrote our names above them!! We had a huge spectacle of a celebration and the works of art and learning are currently on our fridge... and I gave myself a big hug.

tairakittie
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Thank you!! That makes me feel better. With all the research I have done, I know there is no rush, but with public schools pushing children and most people expect kids to be up to public school standards, its hard for them to grasp the concept of not forcing kids into learning. Then he turns around and questions my judgement, which makes me question my judgement and that is never fun! I had always jumped on the gun on teaching my kids, if they seemed interested, I happily gave them materials and knowledge on whatever interested them, so when DD begged to go to preschool at 3 1/2, I went ahead and enrolled her in public half day VPK. She got top marks all year, but brought home one heck of an attitude and saying and doing things that I did not like, so when this year rolled around and the question of whether we should send DS to VPK and DD to K, we quickly decided to keep them home and join a local homeschool co-op instead. Oh yeah, that is another thing he questioned, socialization, I came back with "you mean how DD is in Girl Scouts and we are in a co-op and go to the parks daily?"... yeah. lol
Quoting snowangel1979:

Isn't it funny that if they were in public school he probably wouldn't question anything.

As for your DD, children naturally gravitate towards reading around 7. She is not behind. I really don't understand why schools push children to be reading in preschools or kindergarten. Just give her the tools and keep reading to her, she'll get it. I watched it happen with my DS the school was pushing and pushing for him to read. I didn't push him and around 7 its like a switch flipped and now at 9, he reads adult books with no problem.
tairakittie
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

aw!!! And that is why I love doing what I am doing!! I had given my two an assignment to learn and write their home address, town and state we live in (while I came up with a catchy tune for them to remember it by lol), I had walked away to do something and when I came back, DD called me over to show me at the bottom of the paper she had wrote (in what looks like one big word, but still) "momiloveu". I hugged her so tight and cried on the inside. lol :D

Quoting ambertreas76:

"Slipping" by who's standards?  Give yourself a pat on the back for going with child-led learning.  It doesn't sound like slipping.  It sounds like changes of interest.  Normal human behavior.  I do eclectic homeschool which is, all and all, child-led unschooling. When I start to question myself, something happens to change it all.  This morning, I sat there getting down on myself (I have a 4 and 5 year old) when my 5 yr old son pops off of the couch with his Chima notebook.  He says 'Mom, it's you and daddy.'  There it was... a drawing of my husband with the word 'Dad' written above it and a drawing of me with the word 'Mom' written above it.  Then my 4 yr old daughter says she needs to do it too!!!  Sure we look kinda like Mr and Mrs Potatohead BUT he made the two drawings and wrote our names above them!! We had a huge spectacle of a celebration and the works of art and learning are currently on our fridge... and I gave myself a big hug.

ambertreas76
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Cut yourself some slack.  You are doing just fine.  

Quoting tairakittie:

aw!!! And that is why I love doing what I am doing!! I had given my two an assignment to learn and write their home address, town and state we live in (while I came up with a catchy tune for them to remember it by lol), I had walked away to do something and when I came back, DD called me over to show me at the bottom of the paper she had wrote (in what looks like one big word, but still) "momiloveu". I hugged her so tight and cried on the inside. lol :D

Quoting ambertreas76:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I agree with the others.  You are doing just fine and he wouldn't even ask if she were in PS.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:09 AM
I agree, you're doing great. Kids learn at different paces. A hard thing for me to learn was that my kids will not learn the same way, or know the same things at the same ages. My oldest taught herself to read before her 4th birthday. My middle is 4 and is just learning her letters. She just wasn't interested until now. I don't push, I formally start trying at 7.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Jeez, they are young, what does he expect, advanced Calculus?

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM
If you try to force your dd to read it could take years for her to love reading. I did that to my oldest dd when she was 4. I decided she needed to learn to read because I thought she was ready. A little lesson could take hours and sometimes days. I could not get her to willingly pick up a book for 2 years.
Lucky_life
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow go mom! I have a friend who home schools her son and hes smarter than me at age 11! I used yo have a friend who was homeschooled and she was very smart too. I have been considering doing it too for my kids 6 and 4. Your kids will benifit hugely from this! Dont stress yoyrself. Theyre learning at thier pace with 100% attention they need from the best teacher a child could ask for, thier mother :-D
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN