Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Life skills day?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:43 AM
  • 13 Replies
So I didn't plan much in the way of academics this week, and DS was gone to his dads this weekend...so we are kind of taking today off. We spent the weekend deep cleaning DDs room, then today DS and I went through his clothes...and I tried to talk him into letting go of some toys (my kids don't play with toys much anymore, they play their iPods and some board games...but they have sooo many toys from family and they can't let anything go!!!)

We are going to pack emergency bags, one for each of us. Maybe make some muffins or something. And I have to leave for work early today (around 1:20). So we are just taking it easy. Then DH has a couple days off, so I think we will be chopping wood and cleaning up the yard. So I plan to play some math games or build math into whatever we are doing, but other than that they will just be learning "life skills" for a few days.

Do you ever do things like this? Am I just being lazy? We have only been doing this since the beginning of September, five weeks...is it ok to take a week off from the "table" work?
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I think that sounds great!!  We do a home-ec type class.  We cook together, do laundry, sew, etc.  We also do things like first aid, fire safety (even learned to use a fire extinguisher), things like that. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Perfect :) learning life skills, and learning by doing is far better than learning through text books and worksheets any day!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Heck we do those days all the time! Lol. Life skills are so important, and something I think public schoolers can miss out on!

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Remember the mantra...Homeschooling looks nothing like public schooling! Learning can happen away from the desk! ... Now repeat. LOL. Seriously, some people who school year round do a schedule like that. 5 weeks on, 1 week off. Its good to get a break from the routine and it gives you a chance to get caught up on all the little things that we tend to let slide while we're schooling.

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with everyone else, take a week off and do some real life stuff.  They will be learning just as much as if they were sitting around the table and they will have more fun! 

tonyanamelia
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I think time off from the grind can be rewarding for both the teacher and the student! I just keep doing some of her school during the summer if she doesn't quit finish in may. I think summer break is over-rated. Although we always take at least one full month off. lol ;)

oredeb
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

oh yes we do stuff like this a lot! they are still learning!  and yes its ok to take off from the table work! much needed and fun, keeps things interestng! just sitting at the table doing school work is soooo boring!!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh wow, I really like the way you are putting this.

I had an extremely hard week last week and the weekend was crazy.   I'm having some insomnia from it and have been awake frequently at night.   Between nightmares and legs cramping up, I'm just a wreck at night.   I'm starting to dred night time.

The kids are fine...  it's just me.   I had my eldest watch the baby this AM so I could hopefully shake off my headache, but she doesn't change poopy diapers and he was poopy THREE times this morning.    So I didn't really get a lot of extra sleep.

Anyway, it's 11:40, and they babysat, cleaned up while I made lunch, and now are watching a documentary about how scientists made two animal robots to see which would be better at such and such...  I have no clue, my head can't take it.

It also has to be one of the most beautiful days of the year, and I am running out of food.   So we are going to hit the park and store.

Later, I'll have them watch their math videos and do some math.   Plus, they can spend some time on their stories they are writing.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM
I feel like working takes soo much time and I only work pt! But today I am getting ready to leave now (1:20) and won't be back until 6:45ish...if I could stay home I feel like we could get soo much more done! Lol. I can't complain, I just think if I had the full day, we could do more or start later or whatever, but I'm sure I wouldn't get it all done then either, it's just an excuse for why I don't get as much done as I think I should!

Quoting KrissyKC:

I had an extremely hard week last week and the weekend was crazy.   I'm having some insomnia from it and have been awake frequently at night.   Between nightmares and legs cramping up, I'm just a wreck at night.   I'm starting to dred night time.

The kids are fine...  it's just me.   I had my eldest watch the baby this AM so I could hopefully shake off my headache, but she doesn't change poopy diapers and he was poopy THREE times this morning.    So I didn't really get a lot of extra sleep.

Anyway, it's 11:40, and they babysat, cleaned up while I made lunch, and now are watching a documentary about how scientists made two animal robots to see which would be better at such and such...  I have no clue, my head can't take it.

It also has to be one of the most beautiful days of the year, and I am running out of food.   So we are going to hit the park and store.

Later, I'll have them watch their math videos and do some math.   Plus, they can spend some time on their stories they are writing.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Yeah, I used to home school two of mine, had my own toddler and babysat school 3-4 aged kids and one other toddler.    None of the kids I watched were full time (except on school breaks) but I still had babysat kids for 35 hours weekly.    

Now?   All I am doing is the kids, and I'm keeping up less and less.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I feel like working takes soo much time and I only work pt! But today I am getting ready to leave now (1:20) and won't be back until 6:45ish...if I could stay home I feel like we could get soo much more done! Lol. I can't complain, I just think if I had the full day, we could do more or start later or whatever, but I'm sure I wouldn't get it all done then either, it's just an excuse for why I don't get as much done as I think I should!

Quoting KrissyKC:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)