Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cole has spent the morning crying

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:49 AM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

Sometimes, I just don't understand. 8( On random days, Cole just breaks down. We are on the last bit of Math for this section. He *KNOWS* the basic concept, this is just taking it a little farther. It is simple.

Instead, he just keeps breaking down. All of a sudden, he doesn't know how to estimate. He doesn't know how to round. He just is one big snotty, sobbing mess. UGH!

We are pushing through it. Crying gets you no where in this house. I don't know what has him feeling stressed, but I don't let him get away with the crying act or he'll do it every day. I just know that now the day is more is so much more stressful than it has to be.

I'm just feeling frustrated.

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:52 AM
How old is he?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Hugs, Mem!!  We have a little "drama king" that pulls that once in a while.  I've noticed mine is worse just before he starts showing symptoms of something.  Just before the flu he gets all yucky like that.  So I've started giving him his tests the very next day so that we can take a break and get well again.  Have you noticed anything that happens right around the times he gets weepy?  Doesn't sleep well, doesn't est well, growth spurt?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:54 AM

8 and a half

Quoting Bluecalm:

How old is he?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I haven't really been able to pin anything down except that he might seem more spacey during morning chores.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Hugs, Mem!!  We have a little "drama king" that pulls that once in a while.  I've noticed mine is worse just before he starts showing symptoms of something.  Just before the flu he gets all yucky like that.  So I've started giving him his tests the very next day so that we can take a break and get well again.  Have you noticed anything that happens right around the times he gets weepy?  Doesn't sleep well, doesn't est well, growth spurt?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Awe then sweetie, Prayers for getting through the day!  I know it's tough when they get all cranky, weepy.

Quoting mem82:

I haven't really been able to pin anything down except that he might seem more spacey during morning chores.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

tonyanamelia
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM

If he is on any meds, alot of them causing extreme emotional outbursts. If not, he could be like my husband was, he used to cry to get his way. LOL But when I was young, I actually cried over math because I felt like I'd NEVER get through the page and used to stress out about it. Not proud of that, but don't know what to say...that's just how I was. Too many problems, always made me feel helpless. Maybe try breaking it up and doing some math in the morning, and some in the afternoon? It might seem pointless to you, but it may take the feeling of helplessness from him. ;)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:20 AM

No meds.

Yeah, we only needed to do 8 problems total. The first 4 he did on the white board. The next four I made him do on paper since that was the point where the tears and sobbing kicked up. I don't know what the problem is. We did have a little talk now that it is lunch and he is more calm. He says he gets stressed when the other kids are loud so maybe he just got over stimulated.

Quoting tonyanamelia:

If he is on any meds, alot of them causing extreme emotional outbursts. If not, he could be like my husband was, he used to cry to get his way. LOL But when I was young, I actually cried over math because I felt like I'd NEVER get through the page and used to stress out about it. Not proud of that, but don't know what to say...that's just how I was. Too many problems, always made me feel helpless. Maybe try breaking it up and doing some math in the morning, and some in the afternoon? It might seem pointless to you, but it may take the feeling of helplessness from him. ;)

tonyanamelia
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Hmm, if it's only four problems...maybe there is something else going on. Something stressful to him that is presenting itself during math because the stress gets too much. Hard to tell. My daughter has very delicate nerves, if anything stressful happens, she has horrible casses of heartburn. She had to have a doctor's prescription for it for a while. We have realized there were a few things that caused them, so we have tried to eliminate those things/activities and add insome fun-stuff that helps calm her. She acts so grown up all the time, so it's hard to remember she's only six. She is just like I was when I was young, she thinks she is all grown up and the stress of worrying can get to her. I try to give her ways to cope with it. 

--maybe you could sit down with him a different time then the math episode, and ask him if there is anything bothering him. All kinds of odd things stress kids out. Sometimes it's nothing we can change like "I want a puppy" and sometimes it's just simple as "I really want some candy" LOL 

Quoting mem82:

No meds.

Yeah, we only needed to do 8 problems total. The first 4 he did on the white board. The next four I made him do on paper since that was the point where the tears and sobbing kicked up. I don't know what the problem is. We did have a little talk now that it is lunch and he is more calm. He says he gets stressed when the other kids are loud so maybe he just got over stimulated.

Quoting tonyanamelia:

oredeb
by debbie on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:19 PM

good job mem, how about any food allergies?

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:22 PM

We have days like that too. Usually I just give him time off from what ever subject is stressing him out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)