Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Talking About the Government Shut Down With Your Children!

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 4:55 PM
BJ
  • 15 Replies

Have you been talking to your children about it? It has been a big topic of discussion in our house & all of the children (ages 20; 10 & 8) have been part of it! I think this is a prime opportunity to discus goverment & how it works & that they are learning more about it this way then if we where to use text books to learn about it!

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 4:59 PM

We have been talking about it a bit, but I am so very opinionated about it that I do worry about tainting my kids.  I've been trying to present the facts and asking them what they think about it.

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM

We haven't, but he has been at his dad's for most of it.  We might do some discussion on it this week.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 5:05 PM

No we have not.  We have not focused on it and we are studying ancient history right this minute.  So I have not even thought about it.

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I know how that is! I am the one that usually is talking about this kind of stuff so I have to be careful about being over opinionated. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We have been talking about it a bit, but I am so very opinionated about it that I do worry about tainting my kids.  I've been trying to present the facts and asking them what they think about it.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 5:11 PM

So how do you keep yourself from calling these childish people...well...childish? LOL

Quoting usmom3:

I know how that is! I am the one that usually is talking about this kind of stuff so I have to be careful about being over opinionated. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 7, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the President is being pretty petty closing all the memorials, closing parks that are not payed for or run by the Federal goverment & even going as far as trying to stop people from seeing Mt. Rushmore from a public road! I think that none of them want to give an inch when it comes to compromise & that the rest of us are being punished for them not being abel to work together. I also think if it was their paychecks that where being with held this problem would have never happened!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

So how do you keep yourself from calling these childish people...well...childish? LOL

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

celticdragon77
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I would have to know about it first. I only hear tidbits here and there. I have been so busy with ten billion other things ...and facing a huge pile of papers to go through and organize right now. ugh. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Yep, that's a great summary.  They are all being childish with the people being held in the balance.  So would you say that you complain online and try to keep your opinion to yourself with your kids?  That's what I do. 

Although my oldest is definately leaning Libertarian like me and dh, I still try to present him with other points of view.  His grandfather (my dad) is very liberal/democrat and my inlaws are very Republican, so maybe getting all of the opinions will help.  :-)

Quoting usmom3:

I think the President is being pretty petty closing all the memorials, closing parks that are not payed for or run by the Federal goverment & even going as far as trying to stop people from seeing Mt. Rushmore from a public road! I think that none of them want to give an inch when it comes to compromise & that the rest of us are being punished for them not being abel to work together. I also think if it was their paychecks that where being with held this problem would have never happened!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

ballerina.2006
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 5:50 PM
I told my kids (7&4) that a LOT of grandpas are arguimg like 4yos and can't be nice. Until then Grampa (my dad) cannot go to work because the gov't closed is job while they are arguing. (My dad is a civilian contractor on the joint base here AND retired AF). That explantation was good enough for them as to why grampa was home and shouldn't be when we went over last week. They don't need to know more than that.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

We haven't talked about it really. I think it's all BS so it just annoys me to think about it. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)