Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Any of you use Rosetta Stone?

Posted by   + Show Post

Just curious if anyone has used it and if it would be suitable for a 7 year old to learn along with their mom.  :)  (very slowly learn together...lol)

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Replies (11-15):
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I have it for French and it's really good!!  I also have Pimsleur for French and much prefer Rosetta Stone as you also learn spelling, which is always shocking for me when I see the spelling of French words I already had heard but never seen!  My now 4 yr old was doing it with me when she was 3. 

WizardOfAhs
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:42 PM

We had the German set, and my kids did very well...on the first unit. When the second section came around, they became frustrated by the confusion of its setup. Ever play that game 4 Pics 1 Word? It was like that...random pictures that the kids were supposed to figure out the German words for, but it was never what you would think. So, they came to hate it, and I sold it. I will never recommend Rosetta Stone to anyone!

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:59 PM

http://findmango.com/

After you enter your zip code and library you may need to search for Mango if there are a ton of options listed.  That's how Ohio's is, at least.

We use this for French, etc.  It's free through your library, or one in your state that you can get a library card for.  Mandarin is in there along with Spanish, Swahili, Latin, and even Pirate!  It's a fun place to start, and costs nothing.  :)

mrs.hartman12
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Quoting mem82:

The price is prohibitive for me. 8(

if you follow them on facebook every now and then they mark them down a lot.
diane5583
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:59 PM

I turned off the speaking part for my daughter.  She still practices saying the words, but is not discouraged by the fact that they are constantly telling her she is saying it wrong and getting hung up for long periods of time on one little word

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)