Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help for poor speller!

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM
  • 13 Replies

Anyone have any input on helping my daughter age 12 with her spelling? Throughout the week, if I spot errors in her writing, I will have her write these 3x each. She also has her regular spelling words to work on as well. But, she is quite behind, so looking for support and resources.

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jody59
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Our kids would write a page each day. In order to encourage wider vocabulary, we let them put SP above each word that they thought might not be spelled right. We did not count off for that word , we actually spelled it for them. Then they had to write it 10 times.

Best wishes for conquering the spelling problem

advanced-writing- resources.com

coala
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:47 PM

How is she with her phonics?  That would be where to start.  Try to locate if she is having problems with a specific sound...and then help her work on that by giving a few extra words to work on with that particular sound.  My girls have had an intense phonics program and can sound out just about any word and spell it properly.

We are using ABeka's spelling program.  They use "special sounds" and above every spelling list is a list of the special sounds for the week.  They are then to use "key" words to help remember those sounds.  I wish you all the luck with helping her.

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I am a poor speller, what has helped me be better at it is posting on here & IMing family & friends!

Maybe play a game where you leave silly notes for her & she has to reply to the note with a silly note of her own. The trick is she has to include a spelling word in the note! It could be fun & that would make it something she would maybe want to do!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Yes, my older two were early readers and we hit phonics, spelling, and reading VERY heavy in their younger years.   They are avid readers and their spelling skills are very high.

However, I heard a lot about ALL ABOUT SPELLING.   However, I think it's for the younger set.  Might be ok for a 12 yr old, but I've never used it.

My third is the one that I'm more concerned about, but not totally yet.   She's 5 1/2, and very distractable and has more energy than even SHE can handle.   She even exhausts other kids her age sometimes.  

I can only say to work spelling into her learning style, too.   Like if she really doesn't like writing, make some of her spelling work oral or kinsetic.  (movement)...    Have her make posters of similar spelled words...like "ough" words.   If she is very active and likes to move with her stuff, have her do things like balance books on her head while spelling words out loud.   

Another key, never pre-test spelling words.   For some kids, if they spell them wrong the first time, then it takes multiple times longer to CORRECT the way they remember it in their minds verses how they learn it when taught it right the first time.   Encourage her to not guess on words because that can put the incorrect pattern in her brain, too.  Instead, encourage her to look the words up in the dictionary or if that makes her work too tedious, tell her it's ok to ask you for longer writings.

Sometimes instead of writing, doing something creative like outlining the trouble words in neon colors can solidify spelling (words in lights)... this can be made even more fun by buying a blacklight and writing with neon colors, they will look REALLY cool.   Can go back to the word-family poster idea and have her draw some cool preteen designs around the edge...  (peace signs, etc..) under a black light this would be cool.

Quoting coala:

How is she with her phonics?  That would be where to start.  Try to locate if she is having problems with a specific sound...and then help her work on that by giving a few extra words to work on with that particular sound.  My girls have had an intense phonics program and can sound out just about any word and spell it properly.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I've been looking for my DD too, she is 10.5 and a horrible speller.  Someone on here recommended Apples and Pears Spelling and I am actually going to purchase it and start it soon.  I was considering All About Spelling, but I've heard it is for younger kids, and also the cost is much higher than A&P Spelling.  Also, A&P Spelling has their entire books online to review before buying.  So we printed a couple lessons to try it out, and DD really liked it.

I think a list of words is useless for kids that aren't natural spellers, they just memorize those words but it doesn't help them learn how to read words and spell them as the words get bigger/harder.  My DS can memorize a list, but he can spell basically anything.  DD is the complete opposite and lists just don't do anything for her at all. 

We were using a rule based spelling program (which is what All About Spelling is from what I understand) and that's not working either, she gets too hung up on the rule and then can't use any exceptions-so words she knew she started spelling wrong because they didn't follow the rule.  A&P seems to show some rules, but in more of a fun way and it's not completely rule based, it kind of shows patterns more than rules.

lovelylady83
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I started All About Spelling with my daughter at 9 years old and level 1 just so she would have the foundation and I explained that is why we were starting that low with her... we got through level one in 25 days... on level per day... bam foundation laid we are on level 2 like 4 lessons into it... we only reviewed the most recent lesson and she has mastered it now.... I would recommend it if you can afford it.

QueenCreole313
by Julia on Oct. 8, 2013 at 7:27 AM

We use Sequential Spelling. It helps kids spot the pattersn within words. It was originally made for children with dyslexia. Love it! 

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Notes are awesome!!! They were the only way I could get my reluctant reader/speller/writer to put anything to paper. 

Quoting usmom3:

I am a poor speller, what has helped me be better at it is posting on here & IMing family & friends!

Maybe play a game where you leave silly notes for her & she has to reply to the note with a silly note of her own. The trick is she has to include a spelling word in the note! It could be fun & that would make it something she would maybe want to do!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

gummibear
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:30 AM

We use spellingcity.com my kids love it

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:00 AM

We really like Adams-Gordon's Spelling Power.  It approaches spelling differently from most other programs, grouping words by phonetic rules and no pre-studying.  15 minutes a day.   Our daughter is a terrible speller, but this program has helped her improve tremendously.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)