Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help for poor speller!

Posted by   + Show Post

Anyone have any input on helping my daughter age 12 with her spelling? Throughout the week, if I spot errors in her writing, I will have her write these 3x each. She also has her regular spelling words to work on as well. But, she is quite behind, so looking for support and resources.

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Replies (11-13):
susannah2000
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:19 AM

There isn't much to be done other than having your child practice, practice, practice. Have daily spelling practice at home. Also, encourage reading. Increased reading skills will help with spelling. Pick words from her reading, and practice those. I am so glad to see a parent who CARES about proper spelling. It seems like spellling skills are no longer valued, and I think there is nothing that makes a person look more uneducated, even if they are educated, than if they can't spell.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:25 AM

My daughter has started flourishing with spelling once we started using All About Spelling. We didn't start at Level 1, and I wish we had even if we just flew through it (thats also what the company reccomends). We ended up missing a few things she struggles with now (when to use just c or use ck), but her little brother started with it now, so when we get to where she struggles, she'll sit in on his spelling lesson...
It really does a good job getting the basics down, and teaching little tricks to remember spelling rules.

PeaceChild
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Thanks, all ,for your support and ideas!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)