Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling on a budget?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:23 AM
  • 27 Replies

I had a boxed curriculum all picked out. I just feel like for the first year that what I need until I get some experience under my belt. But we just found out my dh is getting layed off. So $400 is too much right now. My mom is sending a laptop as ours crashed and burned hard.  

Ds is 7 1/2 and in second grade. Right now at school he says they do reading, writing and math. For math they are doing single digit adding and subtraction and word problems. I haven't seen any writing assignments. For reading he's just supposed read for 20 minutes a night. He hardly gets any homework. 

I'm not sure exactly what our budget would be but I'd say under $100. What can you ladies suggest? It would just be for this year. Next year I could make sure I had more money to put towards it. Thank you in advance. 

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM
I'm mobile right now so I can't make clicky links or post much, but I have a ton of stuff bookmarked on my laptop, I wil try to post later...or there is a post, if you search in this group, like this one that has lots of resources for hsing on a budget...

I'd start with allinonehomeschool.com, she has sooo much on there. Since he's only in second grade, I personally wouldn't worry too much about a boxed curriculum...the library is going to be your favorite place, and the librarian your best friend! I request books constantly. At any given time we have 20 or more library books out. Luckily our library has no limit.

For math, try dadsworksheets.com (I think that's the site, may want to google it instead of copy and pasting), he has a ton of worksheets that are printable and all different levels. You can play math games too, and online math games.

Reading is easy, just make sure he has books he's interested in. My son LOVED Magic Tree House at that age, but they might be a little older, I can't remember. My 5th and 6th graders still enjoy them though ;)

For writing, you can start teaching him the parts of speech and how to properly form sentences. He can do dictation or write his own sentences in a journal, answering questions, etc. You may also want to introduce cursive at this point, I would just find a printout of the letters and teach him a couple a week (they usually teach similar ones together, like a and o).

For science, I would just go with his interests. If he wants to know where frogs live, you research and learn all about frogs, he can make a poster or something as a project. If he wants to know how volcanoes work, you research that and build a volcano.

For history, either let him go with his interests (Magic Tree House books have lots of great info!) or choose a time period and just get library books and watch documentaries (this is our first year so we started with ancients, we are studying Egypt now.. We get tons if library books and watch documentaries from the library or on Netflix).

Lap books would also be good for his age I think, for history or science. Also you could do unit studies...you pick a topic and everything follows that-so if he loves horses, you learn how horses were used in history, the anatomy and habitat of horses, do math with horse word problems, read about horses, and write about horses.

Hope that helps! I wish I had started with my kids when they were younger, I think it could be more fun in some ways :)
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Honestly, I don't think I would try to go totally free your first year. If you have a budget of under $100, though, that can EASILY be done, AND you won't be left scrambling trying to piece things together. Many of the freebies are great supplements, but I have hard time seeing them as complete (just my opinion, of course).

CLE math - an entire year for $33

Phonics and spelling - Phonics Pathways (buy the LAST edition used on Amazon) for $9

Writing - copy work at this age (free)

Grammar - First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind for $20

History - fiction and non-fiction from the library... if you can find it used over on The Well Trained Mind Forums, you can buy Story of the World text and activity book for about $25, if you want, otherwise just go with the library.

Science - Magic School Bus dvds and books (Netflix has this right now!)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

fallenangel_353
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:09 AM

If you can afford at least a cheap math curriculum, and language arts ( You should since you can spend around 100) everything else can easily be supplemented, online, at the library, or dvds. You can google just about anything else and find print outs online. I print out Reading Comp. Packets. I use www.macmillanmh.com to help with some of our science and social studies (its free to use). You can find spelling lists online easily, and just make your own lessons with that. Sentences, alphabetical order, 3x each, definitions. Whatever you would like to do for spelling :) That would also help with handwriting.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Hm, for second grade. I'd probably do free or as cheap as possible. I did it for 2 kids. Find what your kid should be learning this year and then use the library and Internet to plan accordingly.

There is a free curriculum called the Easy Peasy Homeschool Curriculum online. Look it up and see if you can pull from that.

Codysmom2106
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks everyone! This is a huge help! I really appreciate it. 

dedicatedrider
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Several ladies in a homeschool group I am co-owner of use Easy Peasy, it's a free curriculum available online, here: http://allinonehomeschool.com/
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Printable worksheets for math and lang arts on Enchanted Learning or abcteach.com and lots of library books, art projects, and nature walks. Second grade is a bit more forgiving than say, 8th grade, lol.

oredeb
by debbie on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:02 AM

reading- books from library

math-  http://www.sowashco.k12.mn.us/ro/Pages/studentlinks/math.htm,  or http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

writing- http://www.learningpage.com/free_pages/galleries/basics.html (just have to sign up for site but its free)   http://handwritingpractice.net/   , http://donnayoung.org/penmanship/zb-handwriting-worksheets.htm

history- check out books from library, on holidays, communities, families, basic geography, map skills, citizenship stuff, look up on internet

science- dinosaurs, plants, weather, magnets, gravity, sun, moon, planets, check out books, look up on internet

english- http://www.sfreading.com/resources/ghb.html

heres a guideline of what they learn in the different grades

Course of Study by Grade Level

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Looks like the others have given great information & advice! I just wanted to say that it is doable & that having him help budget grocery's & cooking healthy home made meals can be a great addition to his education!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I'll second this. I'm going nearly free this year with two kids. Library and netflix for science and history. Reading is just reading, writting is notes, grammar is sentenceplay.co.uk, and math is work sheets and a white board. (14yo dd is learning with youtube also)

This is our first year and there's no way I'm going to spend a lot of money on ciriculum before I know what works.

Quoting mem82:

Hm, for second grade. I'd probably do free or as cheap as possible. I did it for 2 kids. Find what your kid should be learning this year and then use the library and Internet to plan accordingly.

There is a free curriculum called the Easy Peasy Homeschool Curriculum online. Look it up and see if you can pull from that.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)