Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I had a boxed curriculum all picked out. I just feel like for the first year that what I need until I get some experience under my belt. But we just found out my dh is getting layed off. So $400 is too much right now. My mom is sending a laptop as ours crashed and burned hard.  

Ds is 7 1/2 and in second grade. Right now at school he says they do reading, writing and math. For math they are doing single digit adding and subtraction and word problems. I haven't seen any writing assignments. For reading he's just supposed read for 20 minutes a night. He hardly gets any homework. 

I'm not sure exactly what our budget would be but I'd say under $100. What can you ladies suggest? It would just be for this year. Next year I could make sure I had more money to put towards it. Thank you in advance. 

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Replies (21-27):
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I've looked high and low for used or cheap MathUSee. I take it as a sign of a really good program when it's on ebay and goes for only a few dollars cheaper than brand new!!!

Christie1952
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Relax! Your local library has all of the books you need!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Honestly, I don't think I would try to go totally free your first year. If you have a budget of under $100, though, that can EASILY be done, AND you won't be left scrambling trying to piece things together. Many of the freebies are great supplements, but I have hard time seeing them as complete (just my opinion, of course).

CLE math - an entire year for $33

Phonics and spelling - Phonics Pathways (buy the LAST edition used on Amazon) for $9

Writing - copy work at this age (free)

Grammar - First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind for $20

History - fiction and non-fiction from the library... if you can find it used over on The Well Trained Mind Forums, you can buy Story of the World text and activity book for about $25, if you want, otherwise just go with the library.

Science - Magic School Bus dvds and books (Netflix has this right now!)

I have a question for you.  You often have writing as copy work for the younger kids.  When do you have them start writing their own stories/paragraphs whatever?

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:27 PM

When they have a decent grasp of sentence structure, grammar, narration, and punctuation. Since we start formal grammar almost immediately as they are reading and writing (as a skill, not for content), this can be all over the map in terms of "when". I'm not a fan of quantity over quality - I dislike the public school model of pushing creative writing and churning out 5 paragraph essays by grade 3, just for the sake of *doing it*.

For example, my 9 year old dyslexic tutoring student is still doing copy work because she had no concept of even nouns, doesn't space words, and can't narrate a previously heard story back to you with any fluidity... and no concept of punctuation beyond periods (and even that isn't done with accurate usage); copy work allows for a natural way for them to *see* that structure without doing it isolation (which can sometimes lead to a child who can spit off the definitions of what a noun/verb/adjective is without being able to apply it.

When A (tutoring student) progresses some, and as we progress with our grammar and sentence studies, we'll move into IEW - maybe next year.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Honestly, I don't think I would try to go totally free your first year. If you have a budget of under $100, though, that can EASILY be done, AND you won't be left scrambling trying to piece things together. Many of the freebies are great supplements, but I have hard time seeing them as complete (just my opinion, of course).

Phonics and spelling - Phonics Pathways (buy the LAST edition used on Amazon) for $9

History - fiction and non-fiction from the library... if you can find it used over on The Well Trained Mind Forums, you can buy Story of the World text and activity book for about $25, if you want, otherwise just go with the library.

I have a question for you.  You often have writing as copy work for the younger kids.  When do you have them start writing their own stories/paragraphs whatever?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Thanks.  I've been only doing copy work with my 6yo, but I have him tell me his answer to the writing prompts and then rework it so it is grammatically correct and have him copy that.  But I've been criticized for it (by PS teachers) because he "needs to be able to remember what he wants to say and write quickly enough to get it down."  They have complained that I am doing him a disservice with my method.  He's only 6 and he "writes" very well, at least he articulates his thoughts very well. 

My oldest went to PS, so he's been writing his own from the beginning and I feel that he writes more simplistically because of it.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

When they have a decent grasp of sentence structure, grammar, narration, and punctuation. Since we start formal grammar almost immediately as they are reading and writing (as a skill, not for content), this can be all over the map in terms of "when". I'm not a fan of quantity over quality - I dislike the public school model of pushing creative writing and churning out 5 paragraph essays by grade 3, just for the sake of *doing it*.

For example, my 9 year old dyslexic tutoring student is still doing copy work because she had no concept of even nouns, doesn't space words, and can't narrate a previously heard story back to you with any fluidity... and no concept of punctuation beyond periods (and even that isn't done with accurate usage); copy work allows for a natural way for them to *see* that structure without doing it isolation (which can sometimes lead to a child who can spit off the definitions of what a noun/verb/adjective is without being able to apply it.

When A (tutoring student) progresses some, and as we progress with our grammar and sentence studies, we'll move into IEW - maybe next year.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

monkeybunns
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I recommend the What Your Child Need to Know in ____ grade series-you can build your own curriculum using library books to supplement with that.  We also really like the Spectrum workbooks especially for introducting parts of speech, etc-those can also easily be supplemented with books from the library-they have them for math, reading, language arts, phonics, writing, and a few other subjects.  You could do unit studies for history and science (check out the book I mentioned in the first line-they give a lot of details of what you need to cover) or you can see what your standards are for your state as a spring board.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Just as an fyi - the new editions of WYCNTK are common core aligned.

Quoting monkeybunns:

I recommend the What Your Child Need to Know in ____ grade series-you can build your own curriculum using library books to supplement with that.  We also really like the Spectrum workbooks especially for introducting parts of speech, etc-those can also easily be supplemented with books from the library-they have them for math, reading, language arts, phonics, writing, and a few other subjects.  You could do unit studies for history and science (check out the book I mentioned in the first line-they give a lot of details of what you need to cover) or you can see what your standards are for your state as a spring board.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)